Chapter 16

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO SORRY.

------------------

When I woke up God knows when, I came face to face with a white ceiling. Well, I shouldn’t say face to face because the ceiling was pretty high, but that was the only thing I saw. I laid there for a few minutes, tracing the little bumps on the ceiling with my eyes. (You know what I’m talking about right?) When I was younger, I used to lay in my room and try to make pictures out of those little bumps, kind of like constellations.

After a while, I got bored so I strayed my vision towards the rest of the room. Guess what I saw? More white. Surprise, surprise! It only took me a few seconds to realize that I was in a hospital. It always boggled me how white hospitals were. I mean, you’re treating sick people. Shouldn’t the place be more cheery and homey? If it were up to me, hospitals would be rainbow coloured with murals in the rooms.

The door creaked open a bit and my mom slipped into the room.

“Oh, you’re awake,” she said when she saw me.

I managed a small smile. “Yup.”

She walked over and sat in the chair next to me. “How’re you feeling? Good?”

“I guess so.”

“Nothing hurts?”

“Nope.”

“Okay, good. Then you’ve had enough,” she said patting my hand.

I stared at her. “Enough? Enough of what?”

“Morphine, honey. To stop the pain.”

“Morphine? Why on Earth would I need morphine?”

Now that I thought of it, I did feel a bit woozy and it wasn’t like me to feel woozy. Except when I’m under alcohol influence, and that hasn’t happened for years.

My mom sighed and squeezed my hand—a gesture she hadn’t done in nearly 10 years. “Sweetie, you fractured 2 ribs and had several cuts on your head from jumping out the window.”

Fractured two ribs? Cut my head? That can’t be right. I had wrapped myself up tight in that blanket and I didn’t even feel anything afterwards.

“Well, the doctors said that since you had so much adrenaline pumping through your blood, you couldn’t feel the pain,” she said.

Crap, had I been talking out loud?

“Yes you have.”

We sat in silence for a while and then she looked at the clock.

“Oh!” she said, almost jumping out of her seat. “I almost forgot. Your, um, friends came by to see you.”

At the word “friends”, I immediately thought of Nate. He’s my friend, right? I mean, he did come rescue me in the forest. And then again…in the forest, towards my burning cabin. The funny thing is, he never really succeeded in rescuing me though. It was more like I rescued myself and made him waste his trip. I’m my own knight in shining armour. But hey, at least he tried, right?”

“Sarah? Are you listening to me?” my mom said, cutting into my thoughts.

I shook my head, dazed. “Huh? Oh, sorry. What were you saying?”

She gave me that scolding look and returned to her sentence. “Anyways. I was just saying that I think your friends names were Jack, Jameson, Dylan, Aliane and Alison.”

“You mean Jackson, James, Dylan, Ariane and Alison?”

“Yeah, yeah,” she said dismissively. “You know what? I don’t think they even left. Let me check that out.”

Before she reached the door, I thought about how she never mentioned Nate’s name. Maybe she forgot. Maybe, since she hates him so much, she didn’t want to tell me.

“Hey, mom?” I call after her.

“Yeah, baby?”

“Was that all? Was it just the 5 of them…”

She nodded. “Well, Miranda and her mom are flying in tomorrow. I’m not sure about Chuck, since he was that football training thing. And Hayley has her tour of France, so I couldn’t reach her.”

I pretended to take in that information like it was what I asked for, then asked, “How about anyone else from the camp….”

“He didn’t come, Sarah.”

With a small smile, she closed the door behind her.

 I sank into my pillow slowly.

He didn’t come?

He. Didn’t. Come?!

Why would he not come? Didn’t he go screaming towards my cabin fearing for my life? Didn’t that mean anything? I mean, you’d expect him to be sitting in the corner of my room like Edward from Twilight awaiting my awakening or something. (Cliché, I know.) But still. The least he could do is be here. Technically, it is his fault that I’m in this big mess. Him and his idiotic friends almost got me killed. Twice.

Later, Dylan, James, Jackson, Ariane and Alison come in. It went by in a blur, partially because I was morphined and partially because I couldn’t stop thinking about Nate.

“They’re thinking of rebuilding the camp,” Alison said.

He didn’t come.

“Yeah. I didn’t believe it at first, I mean who’d wanna go there? But I guess they think it’s a good investment,” Ariane chipped in.

He didn’t come.

“And by they, we mean the real owners of the camp,” Jackson added.

He didn’t come.

“You know Marvin still hasn’t shown up yet?” James laughed. “I think he’s never going to. And if he ever did, the real owners would definitely give him hell.”

“He didn’t come.”

I said it so quietly. It was a whisper, but they all caught it. The smiles on their faces vanished immediately and Alison took hold on my hand.

“No. He, uh, he didn’t.”

I didn’t look at any of them, instead I just stared at the ceiling. “Why?”

Silence.

From the corner of my eye, I saw them cast weary glances at each other.

I let out a sigh. “He was supposed to come.”

Ariane reached over and rested her hand on my cheek.

I didn’t know what to say to them. What could I possibly say to them? They couldn’t go and get him. I don’t know if they even know where he is.

After a while, I closed my eyes. But I wasn’t asleep. I heard the 5 of them whisper something and then chairs scraping.

“Sarah? We’ll let you get your rest, okay? We’ll be back tomorrow,” said a voice that I recognize as Jackson’s.

Then, they were gone. But I wasn’t thinking about that. All I could think about was how he didn’t come.

------------------------

okay my lovely fans. i am SOSOSO sorry for the long wait! i think this is regular procedure now so prolly everyone knows that i sit on my ass all day and do nothing, so i really apologize.

tho i am semi-happy/sad to announce that this is the second last chapter. 

i'm not giving any hints but let's just say it's not a very happy ending.

i'm thinking on a sequel, but i'm not sure. the plot that i have in mind will kind of tie in with this story but i'll make it so that you wont have to read this one first, just because.

anyways, i hope you liked this chapter!