Code XXXIII: By My Hands

warning: there are graphic depictions later in this chapter.

---

After their fist contact with the Titans, Xora was seldom seen. Time was nothing but a blur of numbed feelings and tense silences, the absence of Xora's presence hanging over the other four agents like a wet blanket. Indeed, they heavily stressed the importance of somehow finding a way to save Levi, but their options were extremely limited. Their chances of finding him and saving him were slim. To make matters worse, there was the matter of whether or not if they would even make it in time.

But the main talk of the four wasn't about Levi; it was also what was exchanged between that woman, Isolde Freya, and the Sanctioned Archangel herself. What did Levi call her? "Xora?" And what that woman said about the happenings of Mission O-17⁠—just what exactly happened to Xora's teammates? Was Xora behind all of the killings, or... did she have to kill whoever killed her teammates?

Was this some kind of twisted plot Isolde had designed to torture Xora? Why did it they have to take Levi, of all people? Eagle had mentioned something about taking Eren before; why didn't they take him, instead? And when the data link had created a connection, the two spoke as if the other four weren't in the room—like they didn't even exist in that moment. It was some kind of tension that laid only between the Archangel and the Titan.

Moreover, apparently, it was Xora who killed Isolde's younger sister. Why? And how? Wasn't she just a mere child at the time of that fateful mission?

All of these questions were asked in numerous discussions in the expanse of the data room, but there was never a feasible answer. On the sixth day, two new members⁠—an agent from Russia, and an agent from Peru—arrived, at the request of Hanji. She realized then that they needed more manpower, especially in the wake of the increasingly violent actions of the Titans. However, only very skilled agents were allowed to be added to the board; these agents were to risk their lives. It was Erwin who selected them precisely for this mission; he heavily stressed that each of the member's lives would have to be top priority at the moment, putting the mission on a temporary hiatus. The direness of the situation became much more prominent when Hanji had voiced that it was Levi's life that was at stake. They recognized the fact that they would require more manpower; this was not a mission to be done alone.

Esfir Sokolov, twenty-six, was a tall woman whose face was very sharp and angled, and she wore a natural glare. Her auburn hair was always pulled into a sleek ponytail, her cocoa eyes depthless. She stood tall—taller than even Eren at a height of one-hundred-eighty centimeters, giving her an air of intimidation. Her form was very lanky and scrawny, but it was evident that she was packed with raw strength. Specialties of hers were not only in physical proficiency; she was an extremely intellectual individual as well. Much of her work in the sciences and engineering had gone on to become full-blown projects in the organization.

Vinicio Reyes, twenty-seven, had a very built and muscled form, but he stood to nose-to-nose at Armin's height, one-hundred sixty-three centimeters. His dark beige skin was a slightly lighter shade than his deep brown hair, but his eyes strangely stood out with a deep, marine blue shade. The corners of his full lips were always upturned in a coy smile, making it hard to read whatever was on his mind. He was known to be a skilled medic; he had a natural talent for healing and helping the wounded. There were countless stories of him running into battlefields to help his comrades—but everyone know he was a fearful, skilled fighter. The man was a force to be reckoned with.

Armin, Eren, and Mikasa were able to introduce themselves without much issue; they were honorable people from very different backgrounds, but they were kind-hearted. While at first Esfir seemed rather cold, she became very talkative and curious when she warmed up to the three. Vinicio, on the other hand, was very spontaneous and optimistic at the start, but he seemed to have a very dark sense of humor and was fascinated by all things grotesque—one funny reason why he became a medic.