Chapter 8: The dreadful knot.

Caden

Wedding gown, veil, flowers, makeup, accessories.

It would seem I was staring at the reflection of an entirely different person.

A sigh eluded my lips as I lowered my eyes, nervousness kicking in and the realisation to the fact that this is really happening. I'm getting married to Blayze Norman.

It had seemed I had everything under control but in all honesty, I never did. The last time I spoke or saw Blayze was the moment I let out the words screw you Blayze and stormed out of his car. In that moment, I had made up my mind not to let him win no matter what. I had promised to sort our debt the way I saw fit.

Unfortunately, Blayze was an even bigger jerk than I thought. He wasn't about to let me have my way or any other way apart from his. At a point, I concluded it was nothing other than his pride getting in the way.

I tried. Honestly, I did but all it took was a few connections here and there and my workplace was closed. The bank wouldn't loan the company any more as regards to the debt it already owes.

That didn't break my spirit. What eventually did were dad's words and the plea for help in his eyes. To him, he saw this marriage as an easier way out. It was better than getting sued by Norman Enterprises and having the company's reputation destroyed.

I wasn't given a longer period to dwell on the idea. In the end, I said yes to it all. I said yes to protecting my family and to having the possibility of the devil himself as my husband.

"You look beautiful." Jo commented as she wrapped her arms around me from behind. In a deep breath, I managed to display a simple smile and yet unable to meet the reflection of her eyes for fear of her discovering the real truth about my thoughts on this.

"Thank you." I added as I turned away from the mirror, looking anywhere else but into her eyes.

"And you... you look great yourself." I mentioned as I took notice of her dress. Truly, Jennifer did her best.

"Thank you and of course the maid of honour should look outstanding." She added cheerily and for a moment, I envied her genuine happiness and innocence. Somehow, it dawned on me that I might never be happy again.

"Where is everyone else?"

"Out, waiting for the ride." She explained and I nodded in accordance as I neared the window to take a slight peep outside.

I stared at nothing in particular as my thoughts trailed away once more unable to control the questions that clouded my possible future.

Is it ever going to get better? Perhaps, I should have reached an amicable lasting period for this marriage with Blayze. Even though, would he have accepted to it or am I to be married to him forever?

"Caden!" Instantly, I turned my head to the direction of the voice. Jo stared at me with round slightly surprised eyes and beside her was dad whose expression seemed opposite to hers.

"I've called you for a while now." She explained, her eyes searching for an amicable understanding. I lurked my eyes left, right on instant before returning them to her.

"Really? Well... sorry Jo, I was a bit dazed out. I guess it's the wedding jitters or so they call it." I summarised with a simple smile, hoping she buys it all.

I watched her let out a light sigh, her expression a bit sad and the look in her eyes, that of pity. She made her way up to me and took hold of my hands in hers.

"If you really can't handle this... you don't have to push through with any of it. We'll be fine. Together as a family even without the money and all... we'll be fine." She addressed and I could read the sincerity in her eyes. A simple smile curled up on my face as took in her words. She sounded so mature and all grown up. If only she knew it was easier said than one.

"You don't need to worry about me. I'll be fine. It's Blayze Norman who should watch out. He's getting married to no ordinary woman... you should sympathize with him instead."

A light chuckle escaped her lips and my smile broadened, glad that I was able to do that. She drew me closer for a warm hug.

"Thank you." She appreciated before letting go of the hug and I must confess, it made me feel a bit better.

"I'll wait with the rest outside." With that, she was gone from the room. My eyes fell on dad seemed dripped with guilt. I could read it all over him. I'm doing this for him to feel at ease and not to fill him with guilt.

"Dad, I'm fine. I'm stronger than you think. I can handle this." I confessed to him. Okay, maybe I have a few doubts here and there but that doesn't mean I'm incapable of pushing through with this. They just have to be happy, my family and that's all I need to keep going.

A loud regretful sigh left his lips as his shoulders sagged and his head hung low.

"Dad." I called as I slightly lifted my dress to hurry up to him. I wrapped my arms around him, engulfing him in a warm hug.

"It's okay. I'm okay.... Everything's going to be okay." I assured him even though those words didn't really sink into me. Regardless, I couldn't stop the tears from rolling down my cheeks.

"I'm sorry C... I'm really sorry that this is happening." He apologised amidst tears of his own.

My heart wrenched with sadness and the fact that we're both stuck like this tore my soul into pieces.

* * *
As I walked down the aisle, alongside dad, I could feel all eyes on me. One look at them, I could read the awes and tinge of enviousness that hid within a few. They must think I was the luckiest woman in the world but in reality, I wasn't.

As soon as I laid eyes on Blayze, I felt my heart sink in. This is really happening.

Unknowingly, I clenched on a little tighter to dad's arm and only when I felt his warm hand on mine did I look his side and realise what just happened.

As dad left me at the alter in front of Blayze, I followed his trail down to his seat where mum could be seen. She flashed me a warm and yet weak smile. From her slightly puffy eyes, I could tell she had been crying. My heart wept but I could do nothing.

Once my eyes relaxed back on Blayze, his eyes were already burning down at me, cold and inhumane. Suddenly, he leaned closer and whispered into my ears "you're mine now."

I hiccuped.

Please don't forget to vote and comment on how you think the story is so going so far.