Chapter 49

August

"Will you tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help you God?" The officer asked, recitin' the oath.

"Yes." I replied.

"Mr. Alsina, this is the second time you've appeared in this very courtroom. Why were you here the first time?" Jamal's lawyer, Keith questioned.

"Why is that relevant?" I fired back.

"Objection your honor. Mr. Alsina's prior court appearance is irrelevant to today's hearing." My lawyer, Priscilla said.

"Mr. Alsina please answer the question." The judge said.

"I was here for a custody hearing of my son."

"Interesting. So could you tell the court why your hear today."

"My own flesh and blood tried ta' kill me." I spat.

"When you say your own flesh and blood are you referring to my client Mr. LaBranch?" He asked.

"Yes."

"How did he try to kill you?"

"He shot me outside of the Atlanta police station. My fiancé and other officers witnessed it."

"How could you identify my client if you were on the ground after being shot?"

"An officer shouted LaBranch man down. I automatically knew it was him."

"No further questions your honor." Keith said.

Priscilla got up from the table and walked towards me.

"Mr. Alsina, you were shot by Mr. LaBranch correct?" She asked.

"Yes ma'am." I replied.

"Could you please tell the court what events lead up to you being shot by Mr. LaBranch."

"He wants my fiancé and can't have her. Everything I have he wants. Not tryna sound conceited or anything but I've always worked hard fa' what I have. Ion knock anybody's hustle or nothin'. I've always told him he could come to me if he needed somethin' but he never did. It's always been a competition wit' him and I guess him tryna kill me would put an end ta' this 'competition'." I explained.

"No further questions."

She took her seat and Keith got up again.

"So the reason why my client allegedly shot you is because of your fiancé?" He questioned.

"Mhm."

"Is she here in this room today?"

"Yes."

I pointed to Leah in the seat behind Priscilla. She looked a little nervous. Her facial expression was unreadable. She was probably worried that Jamal would get off the hook.

"No further questions."

"The court would like to call Jamal LaBranch to the stand." The officer said.

I took my seat beside Leah and held her hand. She didn't grab my hand or lean on me, nothing. She wouldn't even look at me.

"Do you promise to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help you God?" The officer asked.

"Mhm."

"Mr. LaBranch, what is your relationship with my client?" Priscilla questioned.

"He's my brother but I don't see him as one."

"Why not?"

"He stole my girl."

"Nigga she was never yours!" I yelled, as I stood up.