13. The Hunt and the Horror

Dedicated to The-Superstar for your votes, comments and encouragement! It means a lot to me, thank you!

This chapter is unedited so please excuse the grammatical errors.

_______

Suzzanah's POV

"No! You are not going back into that forest" Mr. Talon screeched as he stood blocking the elevator.

"Mr. Talon, please! I really need to go and look for it. As it is I'm dreading what the rain and mud must have done to that silky classy jacket. I'll owe the CEO forever if I lost something so expensive"

"He won't mind!" Mr. Talon reasoned pressing his back further into the elevator.

"Really Mr. Talon?" I asked incredulously, "and you're saying that? You're the one who told me that he'd kill me for just not bowing to him!"

"But you're still alive though aren't you!" he replied, "Besides it's been a week now. It's probably become one with the forest vegetation by now. And the CEO has tons of jackets. I doubt he'd even notice this one missing."

I shook my head, "I can't risk it. I need to go and look for myself or this stress of not knowing what has become of it alone will be the end of me. Please move!"

"Nooooo!"

He pressed his back harder into the elevator at the exact time as the doors slid open and I gaped in shock unable to lurch forward in time as he animatedly tumbled backwards onto a very surprised looking Mr. Penson who was holding his phone in his hand.

"Aaaah!" Mr. Talon screeched before jumping away from Mr. Penson and clearing his throat.

"I'm terribly sorry sir!" he said and I bit my lip to prevent myself from laughing out loud.

"It's quite alright Talon", Mr. Penson said looking amused, "but I'm curious, what were you trying to do just then?"

A blush creeped onto Mr. Talon's face, "Uh...nothing in particular sir"

"Were you going somewhere?"

"No sir. We weren't going anywhere", Mr. Talon said looking at me pointedly making me frown at him.

"Good, because I need both of you to come with me, we still have work to finish", Mr. Penson said and started walking towards his room.

Mr. Talon looked smugly at me and I narrowed my eyes at him, before we followed Mr. Penson.

We spent the next 45 minutes working as usual but I couldn't take my mind off of the CEO's jacket.

I need to go look for that jacket. But what if I can't find it? What will I tell the CEO? Will he fire me? Will he make me pay him back? Noooo! Can't I spend one day at work without worrying about being fired??

And what if I find it? What then? It would probably have become, like Mr. Talon had said, a part of the forest vegetation. What will I do with it then? I'll still be in danger of getting fired or being indebted for life! ARRRRGGHH!

For some reason, within those 45 minutes, the tension had returned to the atmosphere at work. It no longer felt relaxed and care-free. Suddenly most people looked anxious and edgy, as though they were anticipating something big and important.

The men gulped and adjusted their ties constantly, while the women kept wringing their fingers or biting their lips. No one even looked like they were ready to head for lunch.

When it was 15 minutes to lunch time, I was done with all my work and was waiting anxiously for the clock to strike 1 pm so I could go look for the jacket. I wouldn't let Mr. Talon stop me this time.