Ch. 5: If Today Was Your Last Day

~And try to take the path less traveled back. That first step you take is the longest ride~

Kiyomi's POV

I was leaning against my hand at my desk in the Academy the next morning. I was a bit early, which was kinda rare for me. I'd actually woken up early, and left sooner than usual, so I was the third person here.

The first two were Sasuke and Asami, who always walked together and arrived first. I was third, and Shino Aburame had arrived soon after me. He was a cool guy, I guess. His bugs still freaked me out, but we had a mutual respect.

Now the classroom was more than half full, with me being able to name everyone in there. Of course, not many of them could name me, but that's fine.

A good number of people hadn't shown up by the time class was supposed to start, but that was to be expected. Not everyone was going to pass both exams.

Let's see... From the list of potential teammates, there were eleven people I might be paired with, based simply off of ability and heritage.

First off- Naruto Uzumaki. At first I thought he wasn't going to show up, but then he did, with a headband. Lord Hokage may put me on his team because our situations are similar. With the sealed demon and all.

'I am not a demon!' Fenrir's outraged voice said. 'I am an Elemental Beast! Not to be confused with those barbaric Tailed Beasts.'

'My apologies,' I replied wryly. 'But let me think in peace for a bit.'

'Fine...'

I sighed. But moving on, the next possible person would be Kouta Okamimaru. His clan is famous for working with wolves, which would be good for me, considering Fen is a wolf. And his wolf puppy, Shiki, has always liked me. That's a plus.

There's also Sakura Haruno and Ino Yamanaka. Both relatively strong girls. There are only so many would-be kunoichi this year, and out of all of them, those are the most likely for me to be put on a team with. And since there's not going to be an all-girls team, I'll probably only have one other girl on my team. I would prefer one of the other girls, since both of them annoy me, but whatever. It's only when they're together that they're annoying. One alone is fine.

There are only two other girls who I may be teamed up with. First is Hinata Hyuga, the heir of the Hyuga clan. That one is the least likely, because she's not much of a fighter, more of a scout right now. I, on the other hand, am incredibly proficient with taijutsu. Even more so now that I can access Fenrir's abilities.

The other girl would be Asami Rijika. Sasuke's only true friend. She was the strongest ability-wise of all us kunoichi. And while I thought she was rude and unsociable, I'm sure she had a reason for being like that. Still, I don't really want to be on her team.

Moving on to the remainder of the boys. Sasuke Uchiha had a strong chance of being on my team, which I'm not too happy about. When I was younger, my brother Kaien had told me how they decided teams. Based on abilities. Sasuke was a very forward attacker, compared to Kouta, who's a tracker. And since I was also a forward attacker, I would probably be paired with Sasuke.

Of course, the Hokage may decide to put me with a tracking team because of my enhanced senses, meaning that I'd join Kiba Inuzuka and Shino Aburame, who were probably paired together. Possibly along with Kouta. I'd be fine with that, I guess. Neither of them were too bad.

Then the final people would be Shikamaru Nara and Choji Akimichi. They would almost definitely be teamed together, considering their parents friendships and stations. Actually, now that I think about it, I won't be teamed with them, Ino, or Asami, because they'll be teamed in the Ino-Shika-Cho-Asa formation. Their parents did it, and would probably ask the Hokage to do it to their children.