Chap. 56

"So what time is your game?" Kayla asked, as Bryce chopped up a carrot.

I couldn't help but cringe, sure he was going to chop off his finger.

"The only game you need to worry about is the one Sunday at 4 PM," Bryce stated, looking up at his phone where he was FaceTiming his sister. "The championship game."

"What if you don't make it to the championship?"

"That won't be an issue."

"You're so cocky."

"I just don't doubt my pitching ability."

"Let me check my calendar you egotistical ass," Kayla said, laughing.

And then she fell silent.

"What?" Bryce asked, as she shoved the chopped up carrots in the salad bowl. "You can't come?"

"I can come," Kayla said.

I wasn't even looking at her and I could hear the forced happiness in her voice.

"What is it?" Bryce pressed.

"It's nothing, really."

"Oh my God Kayla, what the hell is it?"

"I just had plans with dad," she confessed. "The three of us were going to an early dinner and then to a Broadway show. But Broadway is always going to be there. And dad will understand."

Bryce looked over at me, a tired look on his face.

I just shrugged, picking up a piece of carrot that had fallen off the cutting board and popping it into my mouth.

"You can't cancel your Broadway plans."

"It's fine. Broadway to a New Yorker isn't a big deal."

But what about plans with her dad?

"You can't cancel on dad either," Bryce added, his voice tight.

"Dad will understand."

Bryce looked over at me again, and I just offered him a supportive smile.

I'm not going to tell him what to do.

"Just invite dad to come," Bryce muttered.

"Do what now?" Kayla asked.

"Invite dad to come," Bryce said, a little louder with a frustrated tone. "Invite dad to come to the game."

I couldn't help the smile spreading across my face.

"Are you sure?"

Bryce just nodded.

"Okay, yeah. I'll invite him."

"Okay, so I'll see you at the fields on Sunday then."

"We'll be there."

Bryce said his goodbyes before ending the FaceTime call.

"I'm proud of you," I stated, as he picked up the salad bowl, shaking it around to mix up the ingredients.

"Well it's not like I expected Kayla to ditch on her plans for me," Bryce said, a hard edge to his voice.

"It's not like she expected you to reach out to your dad either," I stated, a smile still stretched across my face. "That was a big step for you."

He placed the salad bowl back down on the counter, giving me a look. "That was me being courteous."

"That was you turning into a softie."

"I am not a softie."

I just laughed, leaning across the counter and pecking him on the lips. "That's okay. I prefer this Bryce anyways."