Chapter 23: Home

All of the original hybrids, like Trudy and Neo and Chess, insisted on coming with Laura to her home, but she firmly said that she was to be the one to confront him and Neo was going to sprinkle the last bit of the potion on him.

When Laura and Neo came back, the head police officer repeatedly questioned them about all the "doctors" and "nurses" who had turned them into hybrids, asking where they had gone. But she refused to tell them. As for the five police officers who were now dogs, Laura promised to bring back some of the potion for them. But will it work on completely animal hybrids? she thought of Benjamin as she fluttered into the helicopter.

She told the pilot her home address, in south Georgia. Wow, my dad drove a long way. Now I know where all those 'business trips' were to. What were the directions to that place? 'Yeah, just go to the left and it's on the corner of hell and nowhere. Have fun torturing children!'?

The trip took a couple of hours, and, even being as small as she was, rather cramped. It was only fair that a few of the hybrids got to come, and they were as eager as anyone to be cured. Plus, it was protection, just in case.

"Five minutes to landing." Announced the pilot.

It was a little funny when they landed. All the neighbors were outside, some of which she knew, gawking at the helicopter that was obviously going to land in their tiny neighborhood. They scurried out of the way and were even more surprised to see us. Laura felt their stares, but just ignored them. She was used to it by now.

The handle rattled, and her father and mother burst out of the house. They stared at each other for a while. Laura hadn't seen them in a year, and had celebrated her 16th birthday alone, in the Utah woods at night.

Then, both her parents' faces hardened. "What are you doing here, Laura?" said Laura's father, seething, his eyes just as hard as they were when he left her at the Facility.

"I have defeated the Facility." Laura said bravely, raising her chin.

"You couldn't have." Laura's mother snarled.

Laura nodded. "With the help of my friends."

Just then, Neo sprinkled the last of the unClearing potion on them, and they stared off into the distance as the others had.

Then, one by one, silent tears slipped down their faces. "Laura . . ." Laura's father said. Her parents ran over and gave her a hug. Well, as much of a hug as they could give a foot-tall flying girl. Laura flinched and didn't move. They cried harder.

"How could I have done this?" Laura's father murmured.

"I missed you." said Laura, tearing up too.

"I thought it was harmless experiments at first, I really did, but then they started doing horrible things. They made me and your mother take a shot and we . . . felt like we were no longer human. We didn't mean to do all those things. We never meant to . . ." Laura's father choked.

"But now . . ." Laura's face turned serious. "I need to know, where is the reversing potion?"

"Right here." he pulled a large vial of pink, sparkling liquid out of his pocket. "I always keep it with me. It's the same as the unClearing potion, a little contact and it reverses."

Laura's eyes brightened. The whole reason she was here. Why any of them were here. "Does it reverse completely animal hybrids?" she asked.

He shook his head gravely. "No, it doesn't."

Her hopes sunk for the dogs, but was still thrilled. All of the hybrids could be cured!

He gave Laura the vial, and she looked around. The other hybrids were beaming, light almost shining out of their faces. Their suffering was finally over.

"Go on, Laura. You first." Urged Chess.

Laura beamed as well. "Okay."

She opened the vial, and put her hand in. The liquid was as soft as rose petals. Laura laughed as she looked up at her friends one more time. I won't see things like this anymore. I won't be small!

Laura felt pushing. She was growing! She shed her ragged butterfly wings and pushed up, up, up! Laura felt changes in her body as she became fully human again. Two feet, three feet, four feet, until she was finally her glorious full size again. Laura wept happy tears as she saw her friends her size. Her father wrapped her in a towel because she had outgrown her clothes, and she hugged her friends as they all turned to their wonderful normal selves.

When they had all been cured, they all stood, looking at each other. They had been friends and knew each other for a while, but seeing each other like this was alien. But they loved each other, no matter how they looked.

Funnily enough, they sometimes forgot they were cured. Laura first stumbled around, unused to being normal size, and she was paranoid about stepping on bugs, Chess sometimes reached up to grab her whiskers, and Neo, the funniest, sometimes forgot he couldn't fly and would try and fall flat on his face.

Laura began to forgive her parents, and they couldn't tell her enough how much they loved her and how glad they were that they were both back. But then they had to leave. After all, there were a lot of kids at the hospital, waiting for a cure. But before they left again, Neo came to Laura telling her how brave she was the whole time and how much he loved her.

And then, Neo put his hand behind her neck, pulled her close, and Laura had her beautiful first kiss.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Aww! :3 Isn't love sweet? Thank you all so much for reading almost the entire book! I love you guys! If you have any questions or just want to talk to me, go ahead and send me a private message! Vote, comment, follow! (Btw there will be an epilouge!) Bye now! :)

_pure_imagination_