sixteen // p.s. i love you

I DON'T KNOW HOW I lasted for the rest of the day. I feel like I'm moping too much, wandering aimlessly around, trying to block my irritating thoughts that are making me feel worse every second.

I remember the look on Luke's face when I walked a way from him - it's a look a want to forget. He looked so broken, and for a moment I could see a flicker of all the pain that I knew was caused by me over the past god knows how many years. It makes me sad to think that he has done nothing but wait for me, and here I am, throwing it back in his face. I regret my decision the minute I walk into English - the last lesson of the day.

I'm not expecting Luke to sit next to me, so I don't keep my hopes up. I let my long hair cover my face so that he can't see me, though I know it's a wasted effort. Those tell-tale sparks are enough of a giveaway. But, having my hair there gives me a bit a reassurance, which can't hurt at that moment.

"So, you must be the new girl," says a masculine, hit-puberty-too-quickly voice. I lift my head to see a guy who is all muscle and no height. I am immediately wary of him. "Tell me, what's a pretty girl like you sitting on her own for?"

"She's not on her own," says the voice which I know all too well. Of course, I should've known he's here. My body is flooded with heat as Luke places a possessive hand on my back.

The other guy raises an eyebrow. "And what are you? Her bodyguard?" He is stepping on a thin line. I can already feel Luke shaking.

"I'm her boyfriend." Aww- wait, what? "Now, beat it before I beat you."

I look at him in disbelief, and he turns his head towards me slightly, raising an amused brow. The guy who approached me laughs, looking between us both. "Yeah, and she looks so pleased about that. Okay, darlin', when this pooper bores you, just look for Jace, I'll show you a good time." He winks - I think it was supposed to be flirtatious? - at me, and I can feel the anger burning off of Luke.

The Australian reached over too quickly for me to react to and grabs Jace's wrist, securing his fingers around him as he grips it tightly. "The chances of her having a good time with you are very slim. Trust me, I know her better than you." Jace struggles out of his grasps, but eventually manages to pry his hand free.

"God, he's go a temper, hasn't he?" Jace asks me, even more amused now than he was before. Is he seriously deranged?

"You're telling me," I mumble, sinking back into my seat as the teacher walks through the door. The muscular guy smirks as he turns around, and Luke looks at me curiously. I ignore him, and try to focus on the teacher. I remember him doing the roll, and then telling us that we will be going to the library to do some research on R. S. Thomas, but after that everything just seems to blur out of my brain. The mind-numbing electricity is drawing me towards Luke, and the longer I try to push it to one side, the harder it is to ignore.

I'm glad when we make it to the library, because I can finally escape Luke. Luckily, he seems to notice me needing space, and decides to keep his distance. I keep telling myself that I'm relieved, but I only feel paranoid. The way the girls are looking at him makes me want to stick a label on him, telling them to keep their hands off. I am so annoyed with myself. Why do I let him get to me?

I am sitting at one of the computer desks when a conversation catches my attention. It wouldn't bother me if Luke wasn't the one having the conversation, and I hate that it does.

"So, you're quite the talk of the school, Luke," says an overly eager blonde, whose eyes continue to sweep over him. "Pretty much everyone wants to sleep with you."

"Shame that I don't care," Luke replies, his careless attitude making me feel a little smug.

The blonde girl gasps. "But why not? I'm sure there's someone who's sparked your interest." She flutters her heavily made up lashes at him, and I have to stop my eyes from rolling.