CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

When I was ten years old, I almost drowned. I was in the pool with my dad and he was swimming with Nick and Colton while I just sat on the stairs and watched. I remember that I wanted to go to them and began to take steps forward. I don't remember how I just lost my grip and then I started to drown. I began to move my arms desperately making the water splash all over me as I tried to gasp for air.

The feeling of the water pulling me down was one of the worst things I've ever experienced. It just felt horrible. The water traps you and you can't breathe-no matter how hard you try to gasp for air and even when you do-the air isn't enough. It's suffocating and you can't breathe and you know you're dying but you can't do anything about it.

This was exactly how I feel when I began to come to my senses-out of breath. As if I were drowning or as if I had been running for a really long time.

I tried to gasp but couldn't because I realized that my mouth was taped. I opened my eyes but everything was a blur. I desperately tried to breathe and gasp for air but I couldn't. I tried to move my hands but they were tied behind my back-I tried to stand up but my legs were tied around the chair I was seated on. I heard screams around me as I began to feel suffocated. And then someone ripped the tape off me and I was finally able to gasp for air. I coughed over and over but I couldn't seem to be able to catch my breath. And then, slowly, it began to come back. My heart slowed down and my breathing began to regulate.

"What the hell did I tell you?" I heard a voice scream somewhere around me. "I gave you one order! ONE ORDER! What was it?!"

"To not hurt her, sir," A smaller voice answered.

"Exactly! And what did you do? Look at her!"

I frowned.

Were they talking about me? What was wrong with me? Where was I? Was this a dream? I was on the bench with George and then-and then oh my god. I opened my eyes again and blinked until my vision cleared up. It took my eyes a moment to adjust to the brightness in the room. When they did, I looked around. I was, in what seemed, to be a garage-there were three cars with the hoods up as if someone were in the middle of repairing them. There were mechanic tools all over the floor along with dirty towels. The walls were white but they were dirty-stained with black grease-there didn't seem to be windows and I didn't see any doors.

In front of me were two men I had never seen before in my life. One of them was taller, with broad shoulders. He was wearing blue jeans with a white T-shirt. He had dirty blond hair and brown eyes. The other one was shorter and chunkier. He was wearing a navy blue mechanic uniform with the name John written on it with white letters.

I opened my mouth to scream but nothing came out. They kidnapped me. They kidnapped me and now I was gonna die. The two men were arguing so they hadn't noticed that I was looking at them.

I tried to turn my head and my heart skipped a beat because right there next to me was Nathan tied to a chair and his mouth taped. His eyes were closed and he was beaten up with blood coming down from his eyebrow and lip. His white T-shirt was also stained with blood and I realize that he was shot somewhere on the stomach. There was a puddle of blood on the floor.

Oh my god.

Was he dead?

"Nathan!" I screamed at him without thinking. "Nathan, please open your eyes!"

But Nathan didn't move. Instead, someone grabbed my chair and turned me around so Nathan was behind me and I couldn't see him anymore. I was crying. I couldn't stop crying because I feared the worst-Nathan was dead.