Chapter 19 - The Morning After

Alex’s POV, con’t.

I woke up Sunday morning to an empty bed and I groaned.  I couldn’t believe that once again Anjali had snuck out on me.  How could I have let this happen twice?  I know Anjali had been out drinking with her friends the night before but she didn’t seem drunk when she came over, so I or should I say we couldn’t blame it on the alcohol. 

I was livid and I couldn’t stop myself from cursing even though no one was there to hear me.  I got out of bed and grabbed my boxers and put them on and strolled into the living room to make some coffee.  This time I wasn’t going to approach her, if this is the game she wanted to play then fine.

I walked into the kitchen and began the process of making coffee.

“Good morning.”

I whirled around to see Anjali standing in my kitchen with nothing but my shirt on.  My mouth was open and I was shocked to see her.

“I didn’t realize you’re a coffee drinker or I would have put a pot on.  I hope you don’t mind but I made some chai.  There is an extra cup for you on the counter if you’d like some.” Anjali said.

“Chai’s good.  I like chai, it just takes longer to make than coffee so I usually opt for coffee,” I said dumbfounded.

“You thought I snuck out didn’t you?” she asked.

I looked at her guiltily I couldn’t even say the words because I felt bad for the curse words that I said earlier, that I’m fairly sure she heard.

“I really tried to stay in bed, and I did for about an hour after I woke up, but I couldn’t take it any longer.  I’m usually up early.  I hope you’re still not mad at me.”

I pulled her into me and hugged her close and breathed in her smell, “No I’m not mad.  I’m relieved you’re here this morning.  But, you still owe me waking up in my arms, so you’ll have to come back over and stay the night so I can wake up next to you.   We’ll have to just keep working on getting the timing right.” I winked at her.

Embarrassed she moved away from me and changed the subject, “Until then you need to feed me or there won’t be a next time.  I’m kind of grouchy without breakfast.”

“So our relationship depends on my cooking skills?” I asked incredulously. 

“Yes,” she smiled, “but, don’t worry, you just have to make me breakfast.  I’m not so grouchy without the other meals.”

“Okay, I hope you like omelets.” 

“Yum!”

I began pulling out all of the ingredients for a killer veggie omelet.  My love life depended on it.

I made the first omelet for Anjali and served her an onion, green pepper, mushroom and spinach omelet with gruyere cheese and a side of toast.  Thankfully, I can cook a few things and breakfast is my best meal. 

“It smells delicious! Can I start without you?” Anjali asked.  “Sure, ladies first.”

“Oh my god, this is delicious! If you had told me you can cook breakfast so well, I would have stayed for breakfast the first time,” she teased.

I gave her a playful angry look letting her know I hadn’t completely forgiven her for leaving me the first time.

I sat down next to her with my omelet, “So breakfast is all it takes to seduce you? Why didn’t you tell me to begin with, we could have done this sooner?”

“I can’t give away all of my secrets, you have to work for them.”

“How many more secrets do you have?” I asked.

“Lots,” she smiled back and then walked over to my stereo and looked through my music before putting on a track with several slow Hindi songs.  “I love these songs.   I didn’t realize you had such a collection of Hindi music.”

The music filled the air and I watched Anjali as she hummed along with the music.  She seemed like she was in another world.  I finished my breakfast and I took our plates and walked into the kitchen.  The clanking of the plates broke Anjali’s trance and she followed me to the kitchen.  “You made breakfast, I’ll do the dishes.”  She grabbed the plates out of my hand and walked to the sink. 

I grabbed her waist from behind and started kissing her.  “The dishes can wait.”

She turned around and tried to push me away.  “It’ll only take a few minutes.”  But, I didn’t let her go.  I kept kissing her until finally she gave up pushing me away and snaked her arms around me.  I began to unbutton my shirt that she was wearing and my hand slipped into the shirt and she leaned her head back and moaned my name softly. 

Her moan made me break away because I had to ask her something before we continued.  “Anjali is there someone in your past named Amar? Do you have an ex named Amar?”

She looked at me shocked, “No.  Why are you asking?”

“Because when we make love, you call me Amar.  I want to make sure it’s me you’re thinking about and not someone else.  You’ve always called me Alex when we’re together. “

Anjali’s face became so flushed and she started to stutter, “I..I’m not sure…why.  You’re the only person I know named Amar.”  She looked away from me and paused for a while before speaking again.  “I guess when we did the photo shoot, everyone was calling you Amar, and I wondered what it would be like to be with you.  I guess when I think of you in a romantic way I think of you as Amar.  I’m sorry, I’ll try and stop.”

I grabbed her chin with my fingers and made her look at me, “Don’t stop.  I like you calling me Amar when we make love.  I like that it’s something only between us.  I’m glad to know that the way I was feeling at the photo-shoot wasn’t one sided.”

“Now where were we?”

________________________________________________________________________________________

See the song on the side Tu He Haqeeqat - you are Reality.  This version includes English subtitles.  It's so romantic and I thought it would go well to go along with this chapter.