Chapter 16: Two Words. Kayla. Jackson.

Two Words. Kayla. Jackson.

 CHAPTER  16

 Jake

 Why was everybody staring at me? They do stare at me everyday, but it’s a different kind of staring. Today, they were staring at me curiously, as if they were waiting for me to suddenly break into a jig or something.

 I focused on putting one foot in front of the other as I always did when I had to take my mind off something. I finally understood everything when I got the fortnightly magazine of the school.

 An entire spread had been dedicated to me, the football sensation. I quickly read through the article and couldn’t help smiling to myself. The article was awe inspiring. Then, I turned the page. To face an entire spread with just pictures of me in action. I should probably correct myself.

 Embarrassing pictures of me in action. You know, the kind of pictures which can be taken by placing the camera just right? The page was full of those kinds of pictures. I could have sworn that two or three of them were so realistic that it seriously looked like I was actually giving/ receiving blowjobs to/from some of those guys.

 Somehow, their faces had been carefully hidden, and the camera focused just on me.

 Two words: Kayla. Jackson.

 Add three more: What. The. Fuck.

 There were hoots from my team mates, and curious, amused looks from everybody else. I just ignored them and walked down the hallway, until I came face to face with the newspaper office. I barged into it, past a startled looking Julie and a confused Carter right up to Kayla.

 “What the fuck is this, Jackson?” She took her own sweet time looking up from whatever she was doing. She looked at me innocently.

 “What is what Kincaid?”

 “Just answer me!” I growled. She was fucking enjoying this!

 “I think that is the school magazine. You know, the fortnightly one? It chronicles all the events of the fortnight, along with one special block dedicated to one student? Don’t you read it? That would be a shame. Julie really writes well. Carter, too. You should start reading it. Preferably from page sixteen, where there’s a special article on a great player we have at our school.”

 “You—you! This is just like you, isn’t it? The bitchy underhand way. You love to sneak, don’t you? What’s wrong? Scared of challenging me out in the open?”

 “Come off it, Kincaid. Everybody knows I’ve done it. I’m the freaking editor of this magazine, for god’s sake. And just let’s stop acting like I’m the bitch out here, okay? Because it’s you that can’t handle a little hurt. Shit happens. Get over it and move on. So my sister ditched your uncle. What’s the freaking big deal? It happens all over the world. No need to get all rough about it.”

 “You wouldn’t understand will you? You don’t feel anything at all.”

 “Says the ‘player’ of the school.”

 Okay, I kind of asked for that one, but that didn’t stop me from getting annoyed.

 “It’s not like you’re an untouched virgin or something, you know? So, just stop giving moral advice.”

 She sighed, and turned away.

 “This might sound that the biggest cliché, but I’m going to say it: You started it. You’re the Jerk, you’re the immature person that can’t handle yourself, and you’re the one that should just get lost and screw yourself. So just, get out of my office.”