CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

I didn't know how many times I had heard people say that time didn't exist. I never really thought about it but being tied to a chair with nothing to do but think-well you think about a lot of things. It made sense-why they made time. Without time, everything was senseless and just timeless. I wanted to know how long I had been there for. Hours? Days? I wanted to know what time it was. I wanted to run out of here and look up at the sky. Funny how I woke up every day and took all of this for granted. I didn't know how lucky I was to be alive and free.

How long was this man going to keep me here for? Had he contacted my dad already? How much money was he asking for? Did this man have as much honor as he claimed to have? Or was he going to take the money and not free me? What was he planning behind that door? Who was he? That was the burning question. I didn't know why but I had a feeling that he wasn't a criminal. Of course, now he was but, I don't know, I had a feeling he had an important job. He was a business man. And then another thought occurred to me: why did he let me see his face? Maybe he wasn't going to let me go.

I was sweaty and tired and the rope around my hands were too tight and everything hurt. I just wanted to get out of here.

Why won't Nathan wake up?

The sound of the door opening behind me made me want to begin to cry with fear. What was he going to do with me?

Don't cry, Collins.

Something Nathan would say. I bit my lip and tried to gulp the knot that was stuck in my throat. I had to be strong if I wanted to save Nathan. He couldn't be dead. He was strong and it was my turn to protect him.

The man walked in and took a seat in front of me. He was wearing another pair of jeans with a button down shirt and black shoes this time. He grinned at me. "I brought you food."

"I'm not hungry," I said looking away.

"Oh you're eating," he said as he took a white styrofoam plate out of a plastic bag. "Unless you want me to hurt him?"

I turned to look at him and realized he was talking about Nathan.

He chuckled. "I'm not an idiot, Hannah. I know he is more than a bodyguard to you. I've been watching you two for a while now," He said as he opened the plate. It was Chinese take-out food. I could tell because the smell filled the room. "Your parents don't know do they? They have no idea you're fucking the bodyguard," he chuckled then pointed at me with the fork. "Oh, you're a naughty girl," He continued to grab some food and then he reached out to my mouth.

I hated being fed but I opened my mouth. I wouldn't do anything that could hurt Nathan. He was already hurt. I knew I had to be quick to do something. I chewed on the food which didn't taste like anything in my mouth.

"Who are you?" I asked him. "Why are you doing this to my family? What did we ever do to you?"

"I told you this was nothing personal," he said. "And I meant it. This is about money, Hannah, and your father happens to have millions," He said as he continued to feed me.

He looked at me for a moment then shook his head with a smile. "There are so many things you don't know about your precious family, Hannah."

I looked at him but didn't say anything. For all I knew, he was just trying to mess with my head. My mind was already going crazy, I didn't need any more crazy theories. I shook my head when he tried to feed me another forkful of food. "No more, please," I whispered. I was starting to feel sick. Maybe throwing up on him wouldn't be the worst thing in the world though.