Chapter 47 : Relationships, Revelations and Right Timings

Each second was nerve wracking. I paced down the isle of the storage room in the bakery, practicing on the loaves of bread of what I'd say when I actually saw Carter. Would he be furious about me leaving him in the back trunk of his enemies car? I know I would. Or would he be understanding, happy that I cared for his well being enough to not leave him at a party drunk and not in sane mind? Anything could have happened to him and Byron was probably not the only person who disliked him so maybe I did the guy a favor.

"I know you're probably angry, but I did it to help you. I couldn't just leave you there." I clutched the loaf of bread in my hand. "Why? You ask." I tapped the bread in my palm, "Maybe it's because I have feelings for you."

"I pretty much knew that a long time ago, Cerise." A voice startled me.

I quickly turned around and saw Aven leaning against the door frame. I placed a hand over my chest in relief. 

"Never do that again, Aven." I shot a glare in his direction.

"So let me guess...you're practicing how to talk to Carter?"

I pushed my glasses up to my nose sheepishly and shrugged. "You hit the nail right on hammer. Congrats."

"Head." He said.

I frowned in confusion. "Come again."

Then he chuckled. "The expression is - "You hit the nail on the head. By the way, you never did tell me what happened that night after I left. So start talking."

"Hey, I don't talk on an empty stomach. You promised free pizza after my shift ended." I remind him, placing the bread back to it's original place.

"Jeesh, you're not one to forget about free food, are you?" He laughed and I walked over to him. We both exited the storage room and I locked it behind then slipped the keys into my pockets.

"Is Rita still here?" I asked. I had been practicing in the storage room at least fifteen minutes after Aven's invite and that was two or three hours ago.

"Should be." He muttered, trying to catch a glimpse into the kitchen."She was the one who let me in. She might be clocking out now." His eyes traced the room for a moment and he sighed dreamily "It feels different."

"What?" I ask as we both maneuver around the counter in order to get to the door.

"You guys closing so early. It's only seven and  I mean you have security now. I can't even bring in my illegal drugs anymore."

I punch him in the shoulder while stifling a laugh as our new security Chuck glares at Aven. 

"He's just kidding." I reassure the tall bald dark skinned man standing by the entrance. I roll down the sleeves of my sweater and shout Rita a quick goodbye just as we both exit the door. - wherever she may be. Chuck holding the door for me , but not for Aven behind who almost crashed into the glass frame.

"Security's strict." I chuckled as we make our way to Stephanie also known as his car that looked even shinier than the last time I saw it.

"And probably expensive too. Your mom could have just hired me." He said proudly with a flex of his left bicep.

"And what would you do? Offer to buy the burglars pizza? We all know you're all bark and no bite" I smile as I hop in the front seat.

"Okay, that was mean." He shot back childishly as he started the engine. "I bite every once and a while."