Chapter Ten

Naiya Parker

It was quiet in here. Shanelle was sitting beside me and Kyle's partner Jamie was sitting across from us with a tape recorder, pen and notepad on the table. He and Kyle offered me a female detective but I was fine talking to Jamie. I figured Kyle would be in here but he said that Keon is on his way and he wanted to be there when he did arrive, rather than his colleagues have to face the rudeness and sarcasm of Keon Wyatt.

Even though I had been talking to Jamie about what happened to me from the very beginning, I could barely hear my own voice. But it must have been loud enough for Jamie because he was writing things down here and there. Shanelle sat beside me, rubbing my arm. She knew some of what happened to me but I never gave her details. I sworn her to secrecy before so she never went and told the police let alone her parents, who tried to adopt me before, so I knew that me being here was making her very happy.

We were seated in a room with a brown oval shaped table, where filing cabinets and a coffee machine were. Similar to an interrogation room, there was a window up against the wall next to the door but I could see on the other side. Kyle stepped into that room a few times and then would disappear, probably to see if Keon arrived.

"You need a break Naiya?" Jamie asked, probably thinking that my silence was a sign that I was having trouble continuing.

"N-no. I'm fine."

"You sure?"

"Yes."

"Just let me know if you need one okay? I don't wanna rush you into anything you're not ready for or if it's too hard for you."

"I know...but you do need this stuff. I'm fine. Really."

"Okay. Talk to me about LaDanian. He was your foster mother's nephew?"

"Yes."

"How old is he?"

"He's 20."

"Okay and he's been doing this to you since you were 14?"

"It started with just touching when I was 14. Then it switched to actual rape when I turned 16."

"Him and his two friends? What were their names?"

"I can't-I don't even think he ever said their names. They had weird nicknames but I don't know their real names. But they're not hard to find because they're always with LaDanian. I'm sorry if that doesn't help-"

"No no that's fine Naiya. If they're always with him, it just means we'll have no trouble finding them. Can you give us a description?"

"Uh yeah. LaDanian is light skinned, a little lighter than Kyle's brother Keon. You know Keon?"

Jamie chuckled, "Yeah I know that clown. Is he taller than Keon?"

"Yes. And he's skinny. Like really skinny."

"And his friends?"

"One is short and round, and the other is LaDanian's height and he has a athletic body. They're both dark skinned."

"About your complexion?"

"Darker."

"Okay. We'll probably have you talk to a sketch artist but right now I want you to sign this report okay?" He slid over a white sheet of paper on a clipboard that was sitting on the chair next to him. "I'll go talk with Kyle for a little bit and one of us will be back." He pressed a pause button on the recorder. "You're doing great okay?"