Ellis: Caleb [EDITED]

Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Caleb

Ellis

"Get the fuck out," said Caleb once he had progressed that Jem was sitting in his very dining room. He sounded collected and calm, but there were the muted undertones of fury hinted within his cool exterior. "Get the fuck out now."

"Caleb!" gasped Teresa, who jolted at the vulgar words spewing out of Caleb's mouth. I've never seen Caleb so livid before, angry, clenching his fists, lips white but face beetroot red, inhaling, exhaling, trying not to blow a gasket right there and then. "Please, don't use such-"

"Shut up," he snapped at Teresa- which shocked me to the very core because Caleb had always been the nice guy out of the Unholy Trio, the one whom I could stand out of their little posse, the most logical, the most fair-headed and sensible. "Stop telling me what to do."

Teresa stepped back, hurt, and Jem stood up, "Caleb, hey- dude. Calm down. Look, I just came to talk."

Caleb bit back a brittle laugh, which sounded cold and devoid, detached from emotion. "Fucking sure you are."

Heath frowned at Caleb, taken aback by the abrasive nature of Caleb's stance, expecting to be embraced by one of his best friends upon their arrival. "Dude, what's the problem? We're just here to see you, man."

"Then get out," groveled Caleb apathetically, icily, "I'm not in the mood to see any of you-"

"What's going on here?" A man- about a head taller than all of them- came booming in, intimidating well as he surveyed the room with a pair of wise brown eyes identical to Caleb's. I suddenly noticed startlingly that this was Caleb's father. They shared the same kind of genetics outplay; the same slope for their noses, the thick bushy eyebrows, dark eyes and tanned skin. Even the way how they held themselves were similar: confident at their backs, which were ramrod straight, but kind of sloppy and dead weight at their legs. Caleb's dad had bifocals, though, with them being horn-rimmed and gold-plated, glinting in the sunlight as he slid them off and peered at Jem and Heath, recognizing them. "Jem? Heath?"

"We're here to see Caleb," advocated Jem, smiling widely at Caleb's dad. "We- uh- wanted to drop in and say hi."

"All the way from Philly?"

"It's summer, right?"

"Very well," Caleb's Dad seized view of everybody, scanning them, "Who are the girls?"

"Calista," said my friend from the right, in her usual surly manner.

"Hello!" Astrid beamed, "I'm Astrid."

"I'm Ellis. Ellis Chan." I introduced myself awkwardly, "Pleasure to meet you, sir."

"Ah, call me Bill, kids. " Caleb's dad eyes twinkled and turned to Caleb, "So what's the matter? I heard some swearing and yelling-"