Chapter 9: Supplies

Chapter 9: Supplies

An hour later we were at the city borderline, our eyes automatically looking up at the large buildings that formed one of the biggest cities in Hoenn.

"We'll go to the Pokemon Center first," I informed Dawn. "We're going to eat and then get our Pokemon examined. I want Nurse Joy to give me more information on this Bagon. He needs to be given a thorough check up since he's newly hatched. After that, we'll get supplies and get out of this bloody town."

"Do you not like this city, Paul?" Dawn questioned as we began walking on the sidewalk.

"If I can help it, I stay away from towns. They're full of people and I detest being distracted from training. I stay near them in case of emergencies most of the time, not to mention I need to restock my supplies as often as possible."

"You're so weird."

"I've heard worse." I shrugged. She laughed as if I'd made a joke and I grimaced; I hadn't wanted her to find amusement in my statement.

In seemingly no time at all, we entered the Pokemon Center, ate quickly, and approached Nurse Joy at the front desk.

"None of our Pokemon have really done anything in the past day or two," Dawn murmured to herself. "I'm keeping mine. They're all ok."

I bowed my head respectfully as I got Nurse Joy's attention and said, "I have a newly hatched Bagon here and I would appreciate it if you took a look at him. I want to make sure he's perfectly healthy."

"Sure." Nurse Joy smiled, her pink hair in symmetrical loops bobbing as she nodded.

I took Bagon's Poke Ball out and handed it to Nurse Joy, who took it back to the examination room.

Dawn placed Piplup on the floor and leaned up against the counter. I noticed that she was leaning toward me, far too close, and took a couple steps away. She didn't seem to show any indication that this bothered her and I held in a sigh of relief as a minute of pure silence passed between us.

"How are you going to start training Bagon?" Dawn asked.

"I need to first learn what moves he knows. If he knows any at all." I made a sour face, blaming Dawn instantly if this Bagon turned out to be a waste of time. "Dragon Pokemon can learn a very large amount of different types of moves and I want him to learn as many as possible."

"Sounds like a lot of work."

"What'd you expect? For a fairy to wave its magic wand and Bagon to evolve?"

"No, I was about to compliment you on your ability to plan things out and get things done, but I guess you don't want it." Dawn crossed her arms.

"I don't need a compliment. Compliments don't help people or Pokemon get better."

"If you care about the person or Pokemon they really do," Dawn muttered.

Nurse Joy came back out of the room, holding Bagon's Poke Ball. "All done! This Bagon is perfectly fine. Take good care of him."

"I will." I bowed my head again, then walked away, Dawn straggling behind me.

We walked to the Poke Mart through the camping section where Dawn decided to buy a small grill, cooking pot, and cooking utensils as well as a refrigeration pack that apparently was solar powered and kept things cold without electricity.

"Even if it doesn't work, I can still get Buneary to use Ice Beam and freeze whatever's inside." Dawn beamed. "It'll be great for storing food!"

"Wonderful," I replied dryly, seeing a bump in her master plan. I decided to say nothing and watch her learn on her own.