fifty two

It was nearly eleven o'clock at night when a knock at the apartment door demanded Dinah's attention. Tossing her phone aside, the tall girl strolled over to the door and pulled it open with a soft smile.

There stood Lauren and Camila, arms piled full of bags, and hair tousled and wavy. Dinah raised an eyebrow. "You look like death."

"Thanks," Lauren laughed, shaking her head. "Our flight got delayed twice. We're exhausted."

"Yeah, well, y-,"

"Mommy! Mama!" a tiny voice appeared from the other room. Moments later, quick footsteps echoed into the foyer and Lauren had to drop her suitcase in order to catch the small girl who practically leapt into her arms.

"You came back!" Presley giggled, throwing her arms around Lauren's neck and holding her tightly.

"I thought you were supposed to be in bed?" Lauren raised an eyebrow at Dinah from over Presley's shoulder.

"I'm too excited," Presley smiled widely, reaching over to Camila. Lauren passed the small girl over to her wife, who quickly returned her hug and kissed the tiny girl's cheek.

"C'mon. The kid has a birthday in an hour. I figured it was only fair that she got to stay up until her parents got home, geez," Dinah chuckled, nudging Lauren's shoulder.

Moments later, Presley was being passed back to Lauren, and Camila was tossing her suitcase aside. Lauren raised an eyebrow, watching as her wife yawned, stretched out her arms, and trudged towards the staircase.

"I need a bed," Camila mumbled, giving them a sleepy smile before slowly making her way up the stairs.

"You have to tell me all about it," Presley gushed, looking at Lauren hopefully. And, as Lauren had learned long ago, there was no saying no to that pleading pair of brown eyes.

"Well, what do you wanna hear about first?" Lauren sighed, letting her bag slide off of her shoulder and lay near the door. Dinah gave the girl a soft smile before closing the door behind the green eyed girl, who was making her way over to the couch.

"Everything," Presley looked up at her with wide eyes. Sighing, Lauren slumped back on the couch and pulled the smaller girl into her lap.

"Well, let's see..." she wiped her eyes, giving her daughter a kiss on the cheek before beginning her story.

-

"Lauren."

"Lauren... come on," Dinah huffed, grabbing the girl's shoulders and shaking her until green eyes fluttered open. The dark haired girl groaned, pushing Dinah off of her and looking around in confusion.

"It's 1am, Laur, I figured you'd be upstairs in bed by now," Dinah laughed under her breath before motioning to the smaller girl curled up against Lauren's side.

"Oh, shit," the green eyed girl mumbled, wiping her eyes and glancing down at Presley, who was still fast asleep. Meanwhile, Dinah glanced at the doorway and then back to Lauren.

"Get your butt upstairs, Jauregui," she laughed squeezing Lauren's shoulder.

Nodding, the green eyed girl carefully scooped Presley up into her arms and carried them both upstairs. She was so exhausted that she didn't even think about anything else but collapsing onto the first bed she found.

-

"Mommy?"

Lauren was awoken the next morning by Presley, who sat cross legged in front of her, gazing at her mother curiously.

"Hm?" Lauren mumbled, blinking a few times to let her eyes adjust to the morning light that had made its way into the room. It took her a moment to realize where they were. Back in New York.