Chapter 24 - Candor

Corrine

I woke up to the sound of gunshots, and Eric's hand pulling me up from the ground where I slept. Back to running again. Who knew that all that running we did in training would actually come in handy.

We were going to Candor today, to try and talk to them. To see if there was any way they would help us stop Jeanine from killing the Abnegation.

Candor is known for telling the truth. No matter the consequences, they are to always tell the truth. They say the first thing that comes to mind, there is no filter. Marie and Ricky both came from Candor, and both of them easily transitioned to Dauntless, which was surprising to me. And now, they're both afraid their families won't want to help, because they switched factions.

"I don't think my father will want to see me." Ricky says, walking next to me through the woods.

"Of course he will." I said.

"Not after I disappointed him. There's no going back once you've chosen. He will want nothing to do with me." Ricky hangs his head low.

"Maybe he will want to help. You're still his son, Ricky."

"Maybe." He shrugs and walks ahead of me to catch up with Marie.

"He's right, you know." Eric says as he walks up next to me.

"About what?"

"That there's no going back once you've chosen. The Candor aren't going to like this. They won't just help so easily." He takes my hand and pulls me to a stop.

"What are you doing?" I asked. But instead of answering, he just gently takes my face in his hands and kisses me lightly. He kisses me so slow and sweetly that it makes my head spin.

"What was that for?" I breathe out.

"Because I never know when the last time I get to do that will be. It could be in an hour, or 50 years from now." He rubs my cheeks with his thumbs.

"50 years from now sounds amazing." I smile up at him. He kisses me once more before he releases my face.

"If something ever happens to me, I don't want you to ever stop fighting, okay? And find someone who can protect you and maybe love you half as much as I do..." He grabs my waist and holds me to him.

"Eric...please don't talk like that." I said quietly, only for him to hear.

"Corrine, we almost had bullets for breakfast this morning. I just want you to know..that's all." He looks down at his boots.

"Okay. Just..don't do anything stupid. I love you far too much." I peck his cheek before we turn to try and catch up with the others. I didn't want to talk about him dying. It made my chest ache and my stomach twist.

"Guys! It's right up here!" Finn shouts from up ahead. We run over to get a look with them.

Candors headquarters is a beautiful site to see. White mostly, all the buildings have sharp angles and plentiful windows.

"We have to approach this the right way, so they don't feel threatened by us. There are cameras everywhere, so it won't take them long to find us." Eric explains.

We walk slowly out of the tree line towards the main building. I'm so nervous to be here around another faction that I've had little contact with. But if everyone here is like Marie and Ricky, then I don't see why we would have anything to worry about.

"All of you stop! You need to come with us. Hands in the air!" A guard shouts and points his gun at us.

On instinct, I think, my brother grabs his gun and points it at the guards, frightened by their sudden presence. The guards immediately start yelling again for him to put the gun down.