A Forgotten Friend | Past Comes Back to Life

'I've been waiting all my life and now I found you'

A Forgotten Friend | Past Comes Back to Life

 Eight years later.  

Present day.  

"Rachel! Hurry up or else you'll be late for school." 

On hearing my mom, I quickly got up to take a shower. Wrapping a towel around my body, I came out and went towards my cupboard to pick an outfit for the day. I was in a hurry so grabbed the first thing I saw. A purple blouse and dark skinny jeans. Purple is my favourite color and almost everything in my wardrobe is purple. Even the decor of my room is in purple and white color theme.  

I brushed my hair and tied them in a neat ponytail. Since I didn't like make-up, I applied my favourite strawberry lip balm and was ready to head to school.   

I went downstairs, my room is on the second floor. My family is quite well-off since my father is a well-known lawyer and my mother, a famous gynaecologist. We live in a three-storey house which according to my best friend, Sarah is a mansion.

As I entered the dining room, my father was already sitting there, reading a newspaper. My mother was in the kitchen, probably making her world-famous pancakes. Even though she didn't have the time for cooking, she made sure to take some time off from her busy schedule to cook meals for us since she loved cooking and trying out new recipes. My mother is an awesome cook. I simply love her apple pie.   

"Good morning, dad." I said, giving him a peck on his cheek.  

"Good morning, mom." I said, giving her a peck too.

"Good morning, Rachel." They said in unison and smiled at me.  

My mom brought in a plate full of mouth-watering blueberry pancakes. Ah, lucky guess. I couldn't help myself and reached out for one.  

My mother gave me an amused look and said, " You know, Rachel, When I was of your age, I was more concerned about my health and figure. I'm now too but it's quite amusing to see that the children of this generation are least concerned about their figure."  

"Mom, you know, I don't care about my figure. What really matters to me right now is to get good enough grades to get an admission in Harvard University. But you should see the girls in my school. I swear, they have only salads for lunch and that's quite funny. I mean, how will you be able to fulfill your hunger by just having salads for lunch? So the children of my generation too are well concerned about their figure and I guess, I'm the only exception. It's good to be unique." I ended with a wink towards my mom.  

My mom rolled her eyes and went back to eating her breakfast.

My mom is quite cool. She doesn't mind any outings or if I cross the curfew, only. I guess its only because I don't like outings so she doesn't have to worry about anything. Not because I don't like hanging out but because I don't have many friends. In fact, I have only one true friend here and that's my bestfriend, Sarah. I also had a best friend whom I left eight years ago in Beckenham. We were in touch for quite some time but then we just stopped talking.   

I checked my watch and saw that it was already 7.30 and the school starts at 8.  

"Oh, shit." I muttered to myself. Thankfully, neither my mom nor did my dad, heard me. Yeah, they were cool but they didn't like their daughter using curse words. I mean, which parent would?  

"Mom, Dad. I've gotta go. See you guys later. Bye." I said with a smile and rushed out of the door while struggling to place my bag on the shoulder.