Eight: In Which She Actually Has A Heart And She Shows It

Remember to follow, vote and comment!

[ B L A I R E ' S P O V ]

Holy fuck.

God, please take me now.

"You have got to be kidding me," both Jax and I say in unison, as if our minds are wired together. I'm pretty sure it's the first time the both of us have actually agreed on something—and that is me being Jax's bodyguard is a completely absurd and ludicrous thing to even suggest or even speak about.

"Her? Protect me?" Jax says, absolutely baffled. "I might as well be attacked by the paparazzi the second I'm out of the house!"

"Thanks for the leap of faith, Jackson." I glare at him.

He points his finger towards me. "You know very damn well it's true. I can protect myself just fucking fine without your help."

"Come on, guys," Jax's father groans. "I don't have the time to interview hundreds or thousands of people for this position. It will take me weeks—months, even. And that's too slow. I need protection for Jax ASAP. He can't stay caged inside this damned mansion forever, you know."

"But Mr. Deneris," I start off, panicking. I can't do this. I seriously can't. I can't hold on to a job even if my life depended on it. If I did, I wouldn't need to go around robbing houses in the first place. "I can't do this. You can find someone better-"

"I agree." Jax huffs.

Baxton sighs. "I know I can. But I need you now, Blaire. At least until I can find a replacement." His eyes linger on me, eyes trained like a tiger, determined as ever. I know when Baxton sets his mind on something, he doesn't think twice about it. There's no changing his mind. Ever. "Look, you and Jax are on good terms-"

      Jax snorts.

I almost burst out laughing.

Baxton glares at the both of us to shut up.

      We do.

"-Okay, let me rephrase that," he says with a bit of an edge. He places his hands and both of his hips and angles his body at the space in between Jax and I so it's like he's talking to the both of us at once. "I told you and Jax to get in good terms with each other. And I say it's a success considering you guys aren't at each other's throats."

Jax grits his teeth and his eyes are trained on me in slits, like a vicious snake. "Yet. Aren't at each other's throats yet."

I scoff and roll my eyes dramatically.

Baxton emits a long sigh. "But you must not hate Jax that much if you were willing to save him just now."

I don't even know how to explain what happened. I dived head first into the crowd without thinking and pulled Jax out of there. Baxton is right—if I hated him, I would have left him to fend for himself. But a part of me also felt guilty. I felt like I owed him for bringing that officer to the mansion last night. If I had been a little more careful executing my robbery, none of this would had happen.

I would say I'm a selfless person but I'm really not.

"Look, Mr. Deneris, I don't know I'm up for this," I tell him. What else am I going to say? That the reason why I don't want this job is because I dislike Jax and I told myself to stay far away from him? "I'm not qualified for this... job. I've never done any protecting in my entire life. Jax is better off alone than with me."

"I know you've never done anything like this before," Baxton nods, walking towards me now. He angles his head, assessing me quietly. "Which is why if you choose to help Jax-help us, we'll be able to get you the training you need. You know all about weapons, so you don't need help in that department. My bodyguards-" he gestures to the two men standing by the door with their hands clasped behind their backs, "-can teach you basic things. You'll need extensive workout, a lot of cardio, and fighting skills... just in case something goes wrong."