Chapter Nine

"Why weren't you in Latin, Ronan?" Gansey demands.

Ronan rolls his eyes and shrugs,"It sounded boring."

"You missed a test! Ronan do you want to fail?" Gansey demands of his friend. Adam watches the interaction with confusion and annoyance. Meanwhile, Blue and Noah try to avoid watching and instead flick peas at one another.

"No mom," Ronan mumbles like a child in trouble.

"You can call me mom if you want to Ronan but it won't stop you from failing a class," Gansey states firmly, unmoved by his friend's insult.

"Wouldn't Blue be more of the mom and Gansey like the dad?" Adam asks innocently.

"Fuck gender rolls," Blue says without missing a beat and flinging a pea off of her plastic spoon at Noah's eye. Adam eyes her strangely before laughing as well with Gansey. Ronan just goes back to drawing on Adam's hand with a pen. Adam doesn't mind, he finds it relaxing.

"Fair enough," Adam says chuckling.

"Ow!" Noah cries out dramatically. "I'll be getting revenge for that one Blue!" In response Blue gathers more peas onto her spoon. Just as the two are about to have an epic showdown though, one of the ladies from the office comes out and stands on the small stage in the front of the cafeteria. The entire room hushes.

Tapping the microphone she speaks,"Is there a Daniel Mchiser in the room?" Everyone looks around the room for the boy. Everyone remains silent, until a boy from a table not very far from Blue and her boy's table stands up.

"Isn't that one of the boys from the fight a couple weeks ago?" Adam questions quietly.

"Looks like him," Ronan whispers back.

From said boys table, grunts and moans can be heard, as well as a,"Damn I thought they forgot about me," From Daniel himself. Slowly and leisurely he walks to the woman on stage who tries to hurry him backstage and out of the cafeteria.

"Wonder what that's all about," Adam says frowning.

"I'm not sure," Gansey says thoughtfully."But it seems like people are constantly being called into the office ever since the new security measures." Everyone looks down. It has been three weeks since the new security measures were put into play, since Noah fainted, and since Blue told Ronan about her secrets.

Ronan nods,"Rumor has it that just about anyone who does something wrong is being called down to guidance."

"Well that's not to surprising. That's what's supposed to happen. You get called to the office and get detention or something," Adam says plainly.

Ronan shakes his head and looks into Adam's eyes,"Except they aren't being called into the fucking office they're being called into guidance. And no one gets any punishments."

Adam swallows, looks down, and grows faintly nervous, though he doesn't know why. Trying to ease this new sudden tension he jokes,"Well then I guess it's just a matter of time before you get called in Ronan."

Ronan looks away from Adam's face again and goes back to drawing on his hand."It's always a possibility," He says.

"It's a wonder that you haven't been called in already considering how much you skip class," Gansey groans into the conversation.

Everyone rolls their eyes at this except Blue."Actually that that is really strange. It seems like people are getting called in for small things like falling asleep in class or smoking on campus, but yet people like Kavinsky haven't been called in yet. People you think would be more of a priority," She murmurs thoughtfully. Ronan gives Blue a small look that she stealthily returns."But what do I know," She says, ill guy now retracting her earlier statement."It's probably nothing but the staff wanting to help the student body."