Chapter 5

---------------------------------

I walk into the large wave pool slowly, taking small steps until I'm waist deep. Daddy walks in beside me smiling down at me. He finally came through with his promise, he was going to teach me to swim!

"We have to go deeper to teach you, you know." He said giving me a shove towards deep water.

I keep walking until I'm neck deep this time, proud for not being scared.

"Alright the secret to swimming is floating. You learn how to float, and swimming will come to you, okay?"

I nod my head waiting for his command on what to do.

"Now you're going to lay on your back, okay? But I'll have my arms beneath you the whole time, keeping you up."

"I don't know, daddy." I was scared.

The lifeguard was on his post, reading some sort of health magazine. He didn't care.

"Trust me, pumpkin, I won't let go." He smiled, not showing teeth though, never showing teeth. His eyes crinkled and he tilted his head to the side like so many times before.

Putting his hands on my back he lifted, while kicking his leg to knock me off my feel, so that I was laying on my back... on the water. Staring up at the roof I study the design. Zebras, lions, tigers, and a bunch of other animals dancing around. Trust him. Daddy wont ever let me fall.

I'm doing it! I did it!

"I did it Dadd.."

My eyes fill with the chlorine filled pool water, making the animals blur together,  dancing faster. In shock I try to suck in a deep breath, but instead get a lung full of water. I thrash my arms around, looking for anything to grab to pull myself up; I kick my legs... maybe I can swim. But no I sink lower and lower. The more I struggle the more I sink. Where's daddy?! Daddy?!

"Daddy?!" I scream, the air bubbles evidence of me losing oxygen, "Help me!"

My back hits the bottom and I cry, my tears hitting the water, leaving no evidence... DADDY!

I feel a foot on my stomach, keeping me below the water. The foot lifts and kicks me in the stomach underwater. He's mad. Daddy please, I love you.

-----------------------------------------------

I awaken, lurching my back up from the bed, gasping in a giant breath. Just a dream. Just a nightmare.

"Em! Emily" a voice yells beside me.

I look over with wide scared eyes. Sweat dripping down my head, my chest heaving from my heavy breathing. Tears burn down my face hotter than the coldest of ice. Joanne and Minnie stare down at me, Minnie with one hand on my shoulder.

"What the hell was that?!" Joanne asks stunned.

"I...don't...what happened?" I croak

"What do you mean what happened? You were screaming! Then we walk in here to find you thrashing around!" Joanne exclaims.

"Shhh, its okay Emily. You don't have to tell us." Minnie spoke when I started to cry harder.

"The hell she doesn't! She scared the fuck out of me!" Joanne yelled shocked.

This is too much. I look over and see the clock blinking six am. Damn. Last night in my drunken state I must have forgotten to take my pills. Damn nightmares. I throw the blankets off of me and stand up.

"Sorry if I scared you guys! It was just a nightmare!" I say as convincingly as I can.

"Great! Perfect! Fan-fucking-tastic! So you wake us up at six in the morning because you had a bad dream?! I'm going back to bed." Joanne steamed, stomping out of my room and to hers.