22- Envelopes

Double update today!! Please excuse typos if there are any!!

Apparently, it was only 6:20 A.M. when we reached the dauntless compound. Only two people have had their simulations timed and I reached just in time when Four calls my name. Through the corner of my eye I see Cece and Jared confused and holding hands. I turn my head about to explain but Eric lightly pushes my lower back for me to move forward.

When I get in the room Eric closes the door and stands behind Four, who is still inputting Jacob's information into the computer. "My day to deal with fear landscape," Eric says plainly. My heart jumps. Eric can't see my fear landscape. Not only will he find out he's in my fear sim, but he'll know I'm divergent.

Four turns around and faces me. He clears his throat. "Actually, I want to finish what I started today." Nobody moves for a second. Eric looks at me through his dark gray eyes then back at Four.

"Well, someone needs to go train the other initiates," Eric points out in a matter-of-fact tone. Four shifts his feet.

"I got Tori to do it." Four crosses his arms. I hate the awkward, tense feeling that orbits the room but I stay out of the conflict.

With an aggressive sigh, Eric says, "whatever." He shoots me a glance and leaves the room, peeking at Four again. Does he think something is going on?...

"He thinks something's going on," Four reads my mind. I chuckle although he doesn't. Four looks at me and I feel nervous because I'm not sure if he chose to continue his shift on the fear landscapes because of my divergence. Does he even know? Four gives clues by asking questions and such but I'm never sure if he knows I'm divergent. I glance to the computer screen.

"If he knows, you'll be gone in seconds," Four says. My pulse skips a beat. I look at him nervously. I'm about to ask something when he points to the computer and then his ear. "Shh." He's barely audible. The computers are picking up everything said in here?

I realize that Four is like Tori. It should really surprise me because other Dauntless would execute me in no time. But why would Four not want to turn me in if he does know. It makes no sense to me. "You know?" I whisper as I point to myself. He nods once.

"Don't-" Four uses his hands to indicate the action of talking. "Anyone." I gulp and nod.

I suddenly wonder if he's keeping me alive because he's divergent too.

But he wouldn't have such high authority, right? If he were a suspected divergent?

Truth smacks me in the face. Giving Four authority can make him crack and expose his divergence. I wonder if that will ever happen to me. Unless I'm discovered before then.

Unless he's not divergent.
----------------------------------------------

Nothing in my fear landscape changed except... Eric made an appearance in my last fear. The roller coaster had controls and now, he was controlling it. I begged him to stop and he wouldn't. I had to remind myself four times that it wasn't apart of real life. When the landscape ended though, I realized it might as well be.

Four looks at me and suppresses a smile. "Shut up," I say. He puts his hands up in defense.

"You're not the only one who's scared about Eric... But what does the roller coaster part mean?" Four furrows his eyebrows. I suddenly feel nervous. I'm certainly not the only girl that likes Eric, which I get butterflies admitting, but I don't want all Chicago to know I like someone out of my league.

"Oh." I think Four has reached the correct conclusion. I blush and look at the metal door. "Well..." I feel so awkward so I shift around. He doesn't know what to say and neither do I.

"You should stay clear. Even though you... You know... Like him, I guess." Four turns pink and I would laugh if I wasn't uncomfortable. I nod and he nods in response.

I get up to leave but before I do. He grabs my arm. I turn towards Four, a little shocked by the contact. "I'm serious though, Dalia. He has some... issues."

I look at his hand on my bicep and he takes if off. I looks in his dark blue eyes. "Its not that easy," is all I say. I know he would have told me that it'd be harder once it was too late. But, to my luck, someone comes in the door.

"Four, I need these delivered ASAP." A tan woman with long dark hair stands with her hand on the door handle and multiple envelopes in her other. "I would, but I'm needed in the infirmary." She focuses her hazel eyes on me. They make her look alien-like.

"Why do you need to be in the infirmary?" Four tries her.

She sighs, "Max had some initiates gun train on the roof and multiple got shot. A boy went crazy." My eyes widen.

"I'm busy training my initiates." Four is obviously annoyed, and I'm not sure if I should step out of the room now or if I should wait. Then, alien lady points at me.

"Can you deliver them?" I hesitantly nod my head and grab the large white envelops. "Awesome. Ok, so just knock on the doors and wait for the people to open their doors." I nod. Ugh. I have to wait for them to open their doors? What did I get myself into?

I count the envelopes. There are 6 but they're marked in stamp that reads "Of High Importance: CONFIDENTIAL". The tan woman goes back towards the infirmary and I leave the room without saying anything to Four. He calls on Cece to go and I only have time to tell her good luck. Jared asks me why I haven't been around for a while and I said I've been put to do stuff. I wave and continue to my first envelope's address.

291- Tori

I wonder if it's tattoo Tori. Liar Tori. You're erudite, I swear Tori. I remind myself that she expected me to be somewhat selfless and stay with my family.

Mom and Kirone...

I walk faster to make myself forget about them.
----------------------------------------------

Tori wasn't in her apartment but I found her at the tattoo parlor and gave her the envelope. She asked me how everything was going and I knew what she meant. I said ok and gave her a curt look. She nodded and gave me a thumbs up.

I continued with all the envelopes which probably took me 40 minutes because of going to the tattoo parlor and going to the roof to give Max his envelope.

I look at the final envelope. I recognize the apartment number. My stomach jumps. 252: Eric. I sigh as I make my way there. When I reach his door, I pause and then knock. Nothing.

I knock again and I hear feet walking on the dark brown floor of the kitchen. The door opens but only a crack. I wait a second but Eric doesn't open the door wider. I push it and step inside.

Eric lies in a corner in a way I've never seen him before. He's holding knees and shaking slightly. His beige curtains are covering the windows and his eyes look dark.

"Eric, what's going on?" I try not to panic but he looks horrible. He looks so different. There are mighty purple bags under his eyes and his shoulders are tense. I put the envelope on the table.

Sorry for crappy ending!! :S