Chapter Thirty Five

A fortnight later, Lord Carleton had recovered sufficiently from his injury and they decided it was time to return to London and re-enter society. Fanshaw, Hopgood and Mrs Pearson all went with them.

Carleton's first step was to contact Mr Adams, his solicitor and brief him about Frances' claim for recognition of her birth and inheritance. He also put him in possession of the letters retrieved by Mrs Pearson concerning Frances' history, and the record of her parents' marriage. Mr Adams left them with a sombre look on his face and a cautious warning about not getting their hopes up, but secretly feeling rather thrilled by the most exciting case he had ever been presented with.

The couple's next step was to send invitations to a carefully selected group of friends for a dinner party at their house at the end of the month. Jack Lambert, Harry Belmont and Sammy Fairfax were among the small guest list, along with cousin Theo and his wife Fanny. "Might as well face everybody at once!" ventured Frances, bravely.

Carleton agreed, "Yes, it is best to know where we are placed as soon as possible. If these people will stand our friends, we should brush through tolerably well, no-one else apart from Lady Murray will be in a position to cause trouble."

~~~

Several days later, Mr Pilkington called on Lady Murray, his normally sober face even more dour than usual. He was shown in to the front parlour, where his client was seated in front of the small fire which was kept burning most of the year apart from high summer. She wore a deep blue morning dress, its high neck buttoned up to her chin and a white cap on her head. A book lay face down on the small table beside her, indicating that Annie had been reading to her prior to his arrival. She looked up at him with a slight frown. "You have news for me?" she enquired.

"Yes, my Lady. I had a visit from Mr Adams yesterday, he is Lord Carleton's solicitor," he explained.

Her hand clenched briefly on the arm of her chair. "What does he have to do with this business?"

"I am afraid matters are now serious, perhaps I should say more serious," he paused for an instant then took the plunge. "They are married, Lady Murray. Miss Frances is now Lady Carleton and they are here in London. She is being introduced to the ton, not only as Lord Carleton's new wife but as your granddaughter."

"How dare she!" Lady Murray hissed incredulously.

"I am sorry, my lady, but Mr Adams showed me copies of several letters supporting her claim, letters about her birth from Lady Amanda and her father Henry Metcalf, addressed to her aunt Lady Julia. I really do not consider there is any doubt of her pedigree."

He let her digest the unwelcome news for a moment, then continued carefully. "Mr Adams presented me with an offer from Lord Carleton on behalf of his wife, that he requested me to present to you."

Mr Pilkington cleared his throat and attempted to infuse a positive tone to his voice, really it was a very generous offer though he doubted Lady Murray would see it that way. "In return for your public acceptance of Frances Carleton as your legitimate granddaughter, they will forgo any request for distribution of her inheritance until you ..uh..well, until you pass on and the estate is wound up."

"Over my dead body!" The words burst forth uncontrollably. "I'll not have that ... that strumpet in my house again!" Two red spots flared in her cheeks.

Mr Pilkington persevered, "There is no request for a private relationship or a reconciliation, merely your public acceptance of the facts. My lady, please think of the scandal if you should challenge her claim, your families' intimate correspondence paraded before all, the subject of common gossip! And I do not need to remind you of the difficulties we would face if we are directed to pay out the money now! I strongly suggest you give this your deepest consideration, I will leave you to think about it and call again tomorrow, if it please you." He bowed himself out as he spoke, anxious to leave before she could cut loose in earnest.