Chapter 13 - Acquaintance

~~~ CHAPTER 13 - ACQUAINTANCE ~~~

He had come home early!

I breathed hard trying to ease the tension I felt. If he had come home to accompany me to the acquaintance party, that I needed to know.

Kara winked at me like she was teasing me. She stood up and faced towards his direction. "Hi, Nigel!"

Still standing in the doorway, he slipped the key into his pocket. "Hi," he replied to her but fixing his eyes on me. His gaze felt like a thousand needles piercing my whole body. I breathed hard again.

I saw Kara signalling me to stand up as if telling me that I had to stretch out so Nigel could get to see the whole view of me. I stood up awkwardly pulling the hemline of my dress downwards so my thighs would be covered completely. But to no avail, a great portion of them was still flaunted. Oh, how could I instantly forget its scant length! I felt hot blood tingling in my cheeks.

I saw him glance at my thighs. Oh, God, what had I done with myself? Why had I allowed myself to be wearing this uncomfortable piece of cloth? I tried not to mind his gaze. Instead, I looked at Kara and, my God, she was kind of enjoying the scenario. She was grinning broadly at me.

"You guys going already?" Nigel slowly moved closer to us after he closed the door behind him.

I felt the lump in my throat. I couldn't speak.

Kara replied immediately, "Yeah, in five minutes. We're just waiting for our dates."

Suddenly, the world seemed to blast in front of me. Why the hell Kara had to announce that I was having a date now? Nigel should not know about this. I glared at her but she was just winking at me.

"Dates?" His eyebrows met.

"Yeah, I have a date and so has Thea," Kara answered easily as if she had practiced this line since a long time ago.

Nigel raised his brows in surprise, "Oh, I see."

"Yeah," Kara affirmed.

Then, the buzzer sounded.

"Let me check it," Kara went towards the door to open it leaving Nigel and me facing each other.

"So you've got a date," he said as he speedily placed his hands in his pockets. His eyes never left my face. He seemed to be scrutinizing the beauty that Kara had made out of me. I chose not to move a bit, just had my chin up, and faced him squarely.

If he would tell me right now not to go with any other guy, I would gladly acquiesce. If he would tell me that he was going with me tonight, I would be the happiest girl in the world. He just needed to blurt out what he wanted, for pete's sake, and I would heartily do either!

Why did he come home early? I must be the reason for this rare thing! Would it be too much if I would assume that I was the reason for his coming home early?

The moment that I decided to open my mouth, Kara who was at the doorway broadcasted in high note, "Thea, the guys are finally here! Let's go!"

I waited Nigel to make a comment.

I wouldn't go if he didn't want me to.

We were battling gazes now. His became furiously intent, piercing and driving me insane. Mine was curiously searching for something.

Just freaking tell me what you really want, Nigel!

"A-are you going with me?" I finally asked.

His horn-mad eyeballs moved to the right. He was avoiding eye contact with me now as he drew a deep breath. I felt him gritted his teeth behind his tightly closed lips.