Chapter 23 - What Does He Deserve?

"What can't you do?" I asked frantically. "And why does this happen to you?"

He quietly stared back at me for a few seconds before his eyes suddenly closed and his body fell limp. I was really scared and started panicking because he so suddenly passed out. I was just glad that he had already been sitting on the bed so I didn't have to leave him on the floor. I lowered him down and then brought my ear close to his mouth to check if he was still breathing and thankfuly he was.

I then ran out the room to find Devon. "Devon, Devon, Devon!" I yelled as I knocked on his door.

He opened the door, rubbing the sleep away from his eyes before asking me if everything was okay. "There's something wrong with Dimitri. He's been having these really horrible pain episodes and he just passed out and I'm scared and don't know what to do."

Devon was alert now and ran out his room door towards Dimitri's room. I followed after him. We both ran inside Dimitri's room and I heard Devon let out a curse.

"He's never let it get this far!" Devon explained as he walked up to him and checked to see if he was breathing. "This hasn't happened in a long time either. The last time this happened, it was more than a century ago. And he never let it get this far."

"Never let what get far? What's happening? I'm so confused!" I exclaimed not sure about anything. Devon had a look of horror on his face and it was really scaring me.

"This is bad! Really bad! Dimitri's going to get himself killed!" Devon exclaimed as he paced the room with a stressed out look on his face.

"Is there something we can do?" I asked even though I still didn't know what was happening. I figured Devon wasn't going to tell me anytime soon, either.

"No, there isn't. Only Dimitri can." Devon sighed in frustration before he went up to Dimitri and started shaking him awake. "Wake up, Dimitri! Wake up!"

"Why'd you come down here to Rovana, Isabella? This is all your fault!" Devon exclaimed angrily, turning towards me.

"Why'd I come down here? Devon, I had no choice! And how is it my fault? I didn't do anything!" I exclaimed surprised that he would accuse me. How could he accuse me when I had absolutely no idea what was going on?

"You've ruined everything, Isabella! You've ruined the balance Dimitri had created for himself!" He yelled at me as he grabbed my shoulders tightly, causing pain to shoot up my arms. "I don't want to lose my best friend! But I'm going to fucking lose him because of you!"

"Devon, stop!" I exclaimed as tears pricked my eyes. "I'm so confused. I didn't mean to do anything!"

He suddenly stepped away from me, burying fingers in his hair. "I'm sorry Isabella. I shouldn't blame you. I'm just scared for Dimitri." He said, looking really guilty and apologetic.

"What's happening? I'm so confused." I asked quietly.

"It's a long story, and it's not my story to tell. Right now, we need to find Esther. She'll know what to do." Devon said. "You stay right here and watch over Dimitri, while I go get her. Okay?"

"You believe her?" I asked surprised since no one seemed to.

"Yeah, of course. She knows what she's talking about. She knows more than anyone here in Rovana. People choose not to believe her because of how cryptic and vague she is. You just have to learn to understand her words. Now stay here while I get her." He said causing me to nod my head.

Once he left, I made my way over to Dimitri's side. I brushed his dark hair away from his forehead, gently stroking it. I was really worried for him, surprisingly enough. Why did I care about someone who killed humans? Someone as horrible as him?