03| a mate to kill for

a / n an image of the beautiful Lana Kane!

Lana Kane (also known as ZhenZhen to her mother) was many things. A leader, a strategist, a mother figure, a friend, an Alpha.

What she wasn't however, was romantic.

Being thousands of years old had given her a certain how do you say, cynical view of the world and especially  of trivial emotions such as love. But here she sat, at the edge of the toilet seat, having an internal panic attack.

What if he doesn't like me?

You nearly but his shoulder off, her subconscious barked. If it wasn't for Meinang he would have died.  A growl escaped her at the thought of the pack doctor. Why was she so comfortable with him when Lana could barely see straight at a whiff of his scent? Why did she get to touch him while Lana kept her distance, smelling his utter fear at the sight of her? Why did he look at the Doctor? Why?

You're being irrational. But isn't that was the mate bond was? Irrational? Crazy? Mind blowing? Is that what love was? To be honest, she didn't want this. She had a pack to think of. She had herself to think of and now the only thing running through her mind was the taste of his flesh on her lips. Marcus. It was a simple name for a simple man. Simple boy. He barely looked 18--she couldn't touch him. He was a child. Innocent. Who was she to stain him with her centuries of darkness.

Keep away, her mind chanted. Let him go, let him live. You've experienced a worse pain that rejection. You will survive. You have no choice. Such was the price of immortality, she mused. It seldom gives you an escape for the pain. She would not let him go--at least not now. She will let him wait till he's of age then he can decide whether he wanted to stay or break her heart.

Considering her wolf sufficiently calmed down, she got of the toilet and faced the mirror, fixing her appearance. She wasn't obtuse; she knew how the symmetry  of her face and the grace in her movements drove men and women wild. It wouldn't be hard to seduce him. He was a teenage boy, she bet the grass underneath his feet made him think of sex.

"Hùn zhàng !" She heard outside. Wonderful, she thought. Even getting a mate doesn't stop me from having to solve petty pack problems. Opening the door, she is greeted with the sight of her trusted Beta Samantha and her third in command Flame having one of their usual arguments.

"Don't swear at me, you idiot! Did you or did you not--I swear to Christ if you lie--send half of Central A1 pack members to training when most of them haven't even reached eighteen?" The brown skinned Gamma remains quiet, pursing her lips in silent reproach.

" I mean you're not the smartest in the world Flame, but their dicks haven't even dropped past their balls yet--what made you think that they were ready for the arena?" Lana could tell  her Beta was angry due to the slight spittle that had gathered on her caramel skin. Flame, cheeks red, was about to retort something equally nasty if their wolves didn't spot the presence of their Alpha and immediately submit.

"And what," the Alpha drawled slowly, " is this fight about?" Both embarrassed by their display of immaturity, they bow their heads like schoolchildren being reprimanded by their mother.

Flame softly speaks up. "I sent some of the under 18 of Central A1 to the Trail of Bones."

 Suppressing a growl, she grits, "And why did you feel like that was a good idea? In anyway?"

Samantha speaks up. "Alpha, I had nothing to do with this. Protocol states that the Trail of Bones only begins when the subjects are eighteen."

 Lana raises up a hand to silence her. "You're the Beta of this pack Samantha, and I expect more from you than scapegoating."