Chapter 25 : Mr. Understanding

Please don't forget to vote and comment!

I don't know for how long I've been crying in front of Braden's office, but when I come back to the bar, Aaron instantly casts me a glance full of sympathy and I cringe at how I must look. I don't even feel good.

''I assume it didn't go well?'' Aaron asks, his voice soft.

I only shake my head and throw myself into work, shutting my mind off for the rest of my shift.

***

When the clock finally turns 2 in the morning, I could sing hallelujah, because I was counting down minutes until I can go home and bury myself in my bed until the morning.

Aaron stops me when I want to go out of the bar, embracing me in a hug once more. I sigh and limply crush against his body, not fighting him. I seek all the comfort I can get.

Aaron seems to know this because he lightly brushes my hair and then slowly scrubs my back. I bite back the sob that wants to escape me. ''It's going to be okay, Rory. Whatever you're going through, it's not going to last. And if you need anything, you can come to me anyti-''

''Oh, isn't this fan-fucking-tastic? Just like in a romance novel!'' I hear an all too familiar voice that instantly makes me feel guilty. I jump back a good metre away from Aaron like I'd got burned.

Brooke is standing in front of the bar counter, having her hands on her hips and her eyes narrowed on Aaron, glaring at him with hurt, betrayal and angriness. And beside her is Braden, standing with his feet wide and his hands crossed in front of his chest. He has his angry glance also trained on Aaron, but then he looks at me with a mix of angriness as well as betrayal.

I gulp under his stare, feeling guilty for whatever reason. He has his mouth in a straight line, his eyes are stormy and his face is dark. He's clenching and unclenching his jaw in anger.

''Rory. A word, please,'' Braden announces calmly. His tone icy. His eyes are daring me to object, which I don't have power to anyway, so I just numbly nod at him, feeling small under his gaze.

I catch Brooke's look and she's watching me with hurt written in her eyes. I only shake my head no, praying that she knows I wouldn't do anything like that. I'd never do that to her. Or Braden.

Braden doesn't even wait for me as he strolls back, stopping in the hallway.

"You're doing this on purpose, aren't you?" he whispers harshly

"I'm doing what on purpose?" I ask him, scrunching my eyebrows together in confusion. He groans and leans in. I back up until I hit the wall. I'm not frightened of him, I just need to put some distance between us.

He's looking directly in my eyes. It's dark, the lights are dimmed and I can only make out his shadow. But his eyes are glistening, watching my every move, making me unable to move. "You know what," he whispers against my lips. He licks my lower lip and then bites it. I can't help but moan.

Braden chuckles low in his throat and I swallow hard. "I really don't know what you're talking about." His eyes go ice cold on me.

"You're making me jealous on purpose, sweetheart. And it'll drive me crazy." His statement confuses me.

"Braden, I'm doing no such thing." I laugh and look away. "Besides, why would you even be jealous? We're not even dating." My tone is more bitter than I want it to be.

I hear his sharp intake of breath. He suddenly grips my jaw, forcing me to look at him. "You're still mine, damn it! Mine to touch, mine to kiss, mine to fuck! No one else's!" he shouts in my face.