prologue

He wakes up with a jolt. A loud sound of a bell rings above him, causing his head to hurt. The ground under his feet is cold, and he feels it moving upwards quickly, and it makes him fall hard on the floor. It's metal, and he feels the network of chains that graze the palm of his hands. The air around him is hot and stuffy, and he starts to feel claustrophobic.

Where am I? He thought frantically to himself.

He can feel his heart thumping fast in his chest, and his breathing quickening.

The world around him is pitch black, and it drives him crazy that he couldn't remember a life with any light in it. He knows that there is such a thing, but he wonders why there wasn't a single thing in his mind that could recall it.

He feels heat coming from the top of the room, or whatever this was, and it sends a quick wave or reassurance. He can still feel the floor and everything with it, plummeting upwards and he wonders how long he had been in here. But then he stops, when he realizes something.

He can't remember anything.

Not even his name, age, what he looks like and his life before this. It's odd. He knows that he's lived before this, but he couldn't recall such a memory. He knows of mothers and fathers, but he couldn't recall his own. He can think of names, but not one to call himself. He can remember the ideas of things, but he can't remember the experiences he's had with them.

Suddenly the ground below him stops, and he hears the sounds of metal jeering together, as if something was opening. Another blaring of a bell screams and it is followed by the sound of boys above him, and his heart race increases. The ground is still cold where he lay, but the heat that he had felt had increased.

Something, or someone drops down next to him and shouts. "Welcome to your new home, greenie."

The voice startles him, it's low and loud. He instinctively snaps his head to the direction of the voice.

He frowns. He can feel the glaring sun's rays on his skin, and hear the many voices of boys above him and the one in front of him, but all he sees is darkness.

"Hey, greenie, you okay?" The voice says again.

He gulps, and blinks slowly. Darkness.
He does it again, and again. Closing his eyes and opening them slowly.

"What's wrong with him?" He heard someone mutter.

"Great, just another useless slinthead to take care of."

"Look at his eyes."

His hands dart to his face. What was wrong with them? He thought. With his shaking fingers, he can feel the tickle of his eyelashes and wetness of his eyes. They were definitely open, and they were definitely there.

So why can't I see anything?

A hand is rests on his shoulders and he jumps in fright. It's big, and calloused, and it feels odd against his sensitive skin.

"Greenie, you alright?"

It's the voice that greeted him again. He shook his head.

"I c-can't see anything."

His voice sounds foreign to him and his throat feels strange when he speaks. He wonders what he sounds like.

Another clutter of voices spread around the boy, he hears one talking about his voice, and he instantly feels insecure, but one sends the whole crowd into silence.

"Oh my god, is he blind?"

Its goes silent amongst the crowd and the boy could feel the blood rushing in his ears. What does that mean? He thinks frantically. His heart is racing now, and his breathing is irregular.

"Where am I?" He asks, voice shaking.

"The Glade," the boy in front of him says, "and something tells me that this is not going to be fun for you at all."

And suddenly, the boy felt a strong wave of fear hit him, making him feel so lost in his world of darkness, when in reality, darkness was yet the worst to come.