Footsteps in Time (Chapter Eleven)

Part Two

Timeline: 1196-1284

1196-1240: Llywelyn ap Iorwerth (the Great) rules as Prince of Gwynedd and later most of Wales.

1215: English barons force King John to sign the Magna Carta.

Circa 1228: Llywelyn ap Gruffydd born to Gruffydd ap Llywelyn, eldest (illegitimate) son of Llywelyn ap Iowerth.

1240: Llywelyn ap Iorwerth dies. Succeeded by his legitimate but younger son, Dafydd ap Llywelyn.

1244: Gruffydd ap Llywelyn dies when a makeshift rope breaks as he attempts to escape from the Tower of London.

1246: Dafydd ap Llywelyn dies unexpectedly, without an heir. Llywelyn ap Gruffydd stands in his stead.

1255: Battle of Bryn Derwin. Llywelyn ap Gruffydd defeats his brothers, Owain and Dafydd, becoming sole ruler of Gwynedd. Imprisons both brothers.

1256: Llywelyn releases his brother, Dafydd, from prison.

1258: Llywelyn accepts allegiance of Princes of Deheubarth, styles himself Prince of Wales.

1263: Dafydd, Llywelyn's brother, defects to English.

1267: Treaty of Montgomery signed by Henry III, ratifying Llywelyn ap Gruffydd's claim to the title Prince of Wales. Dafydd ap Gruffydd restored to Llywelyn's favor as part of the treaty.

1268 (January): Marged and Anna come to Wales.

1268 (November): David ap Llywelyn born to Marged and Llywelyn.

1272: King Henry III dies.

1274: Dafydd ap Gruffydd, Gruffydd ap Gwenwynwyn, and Gruffydd's son, Owain, plot to take Llywelyn's life. Plot is foiled by a snowstorm, but Owain confesses to the Bishop of St. Asaph's. Dafydd and Gruffydd flee to England. Sensing blood, Edward I demands Llywelyn ap Gruffydd pay homage to him before he recognizes him as Prince of Wales. Llywelyn refuses.

1276: Edward I declares Llywelyn a rebel.

1277: Edward gathers an enormous army and invades Wales. Llywelyn forced to sue for peace, resulting in the Treaty of Aberconwy, which restricts Llywelyn to his lands in Gwynedd and restores Llywelyn's brother, Dafydd, and Gruffydd ap Gwenwynwyn to their lands in Wales (Dafydd in Gwynedd near Conwy, Gruffydd in Powys).

1278: Llywelyn marries Elinor, daughter of Simon de Montfort.

1282: Dafydd ap Gruffydd grows dissatisfied with subservience to Edward and rebels against him. Dafydd is joined by other Welsh lords who are discontented with Edward's rule. Llywelyn, as Prince of Wales, sanctions the revolt and unites much of Wales under his banner.

1282 (June): Elinor, wife of Llywelyn, dies in childbirth. Their daughter, Gwenllian, lives.

1282 (December): Ambush of Llywelyn by Mortimers thwarted by David and Anna.

1283 (January): Edward gathers a second huge army to attack Wales. Is soundly defeated by the resurgent Welsh.

1284 (April): Edward II born.

Chapter Eleven

Eighteen months later...  

Anna

David pushed open the door to the great hall and stood on the threshold. Beyond the entranceway, rain poured down in sheets and made muddy puddles in the courtyard. The water in the air and on the ground reflected the flickering light of the torches that lit the gatehouse of RhuddlanCastle. "Hey, David," Anna said. "Are you all right?"