Chapter 15 - cat's in the castle

Party might be a bit of an overstatement. About thirty or so zombified stoners sitting around and muttering amongst themselves is probably a better description. You'd think they'd at least put on some music.

"Please," my host says. "Join us."

All eyes turn to him. They look a lot like Zeus probably does at feeding time, just before the raw meat hits his bowl. Actually, that doesn't sound half bad.

I scan the room, but no sign of Jack. But at least the druggies are sitting up in chairs, couches, and even the stairs. None are lying on their backs like the ones I saw in that abandoned supermarket.

"Ladies and gentlemen," my host says, "we have a guest. Please welcome her."

Before I can say anything, hands are grabbing onto my arms and shoulders, guiding me to an open seat. The faces are blank. These are definitely suburbanites, but they look as sallow and empty as their inner-city counterparts. Everything inside me says run, but I allow them to push me into a seat. Though I'm pretty sure a hiss escapes my mouth. Gotta learn to control that.

"Now." My host claps his hands once. "If you will all join my assistant in the den--one at a time, please--you will be taken care of." He nods to the man nearest him. "We'll start with you, my friend."

The man stands and lurches toward a closed door. The door opens, revealing a small woman about the same age as our host. She glances at me for a moment before ushering the man inside.

My host stands in the center of the open living room. "We have some new faces tonight. I'm so happy that you've invited friends." He nods to a woman sitting on the long couch. She looks to be in reasonable shape, though she's obviously not a newcomer to chemical abuse. But there's still a glimmer of light in her eyes and her skin still has a healthy, albeit pale, glow to it. I study the faces more closely and see three others that stand out as newbies.

Wait. He thinks I'm here for the same reason as the others. Now I get it. That's why he didn't run me off his property or shoot me on sight. I look down at my black hoodie and grungy jeans. I always do underdress. Apparently I'm dressed appropriately tonight, though. I wish I hadn't left my bat outside. Zeus is probably chewing it down to toothpicks right now.

Our host makes small talk with the others. Just another friendly get-together. Finally, he's handing me a Coke. "Thirsty? I'd offer something stronger, but I can see you're not of age. No matter, all are welcome here."

I take the Coke and mutter "Thank you."

"Did you find your friend?"

I start to say no, then reconsider. My best bet is to play the part he's assigned to me. I nod and point to where several people are sitting in a clump on the couch.

"Good." My host pulls an empty chair next to mine. "My name is Simon."

"Nice to meet you." I try for meek. Not my best subject, but I guess it sounds convincing enough.

"I should apologize for the taser. I've had a few break ins lately."

I'm not sure I believe him, but let it go. "No harm, no foul."

Simon waves a hand over the room. "I've been hosting these little gatherings for only a week or so, but we have a good turnout I think."

Better than most Tupperware parties. Then again, people don't grow addicted to Tupperware. Or am I jumping to conclusions? I've seen no sign of the drug yet. Maybe it just some kind of AA meeting. The woman next to me has a bit of drool trickling down her chin. Okay, more like a Meth Anonymous meeting.