Waking Up

"Mom, please wake up!" Was the first thing I heard as I woke up. I slowly fluttered my eyes open. "Oh mom!" Sarah exclaimed as she hugged me. "What happened?" I asked. My head was pounding. "You fainted." Adam said as he walked over to the bed. He kissed my head. "Is the baby ok?" I asked him. He looked at me in silence. I looked back and forth between him and Sarah. Sarah ran out of the room. "Sarah!" I screamed at her. I looked at Adam. A tear rolled down his cheek. "Adam! Is the baby ok!" I screamed at him. 

"You had a miscarriage Lena. That's why you fainted." He said.

I pulled down the sheet and looked at my torso. I clearly had a baby bump. "How far was I Adam?" I asked as I felt tears fall down my cheeks. "4 months Lena." He said just as a doctor walked in. "Hello Lena, I'm Dr. Torres," She said. I just stared at her. "We are going to prep you for delivery, ok?" She said. "Excuse me? I thought I had a miscarriage." I said. "You did. But you daughter died and you have to push her out." She said. "We were having a girl?" I said. The tears started to roll faster down my cheeks. "Yes, I'm sorry for your loss." She said. 

They prepped me and I gave birth to my dead baby girl. They wrapped her in a cloth and set her in my hands. She fit in the palm of my hand. I felt the tears fall as I took in what just happened. 

After 20 minutes, they took her away to figure out what happened to her. Adam sat down in the chair and held Sarah on his lap. She continued to cry, while Adam let tears fall silently down his face.

"Sofia Kennedy," I said. 

Adam and Sarah looked at me. "What?" Sarah said. "Sofia Kennedy." I said again. "Who's that?" Adam asked. "Sofia Kennedy Levine. That was going to be her name." I said as I bursted into tears. "Oh mom," Sarah said as she got up and ran over to me. "Mom, I'm so sorry," She said as she hugged me.

2 hours later, the hospital released me. The hospital gave Adam and I a small casket that could fit in my hands, that they had placed Sofia in. When we got home, we all went to bed.

Adam's POV 

It was 2 months later. Sarah had gone back to school 3 days after Lena's miscarriage. Lena quit her job at A&M and stayed home all day. I had been staying home with her everyday, but she didn't talk. She would sleep, eat, watch tv, but all in silence. She would just sit there. She looked like her life was sucked out of her. It was hard for me to see her like this. Anytime I would kiss her cheek, she would sit there in silence. I would kiss her on the lips and it was as if I was kissing a statue. She was falling into a deep depression and a downward spiral, and I was scared.

I walked downstairs to Lena, who was sitting on the couch watching tv. "I have to go to the recording studio for an hour. I'll be back soon ok? Call me if you need me." I said as I kissed her head. No reaction. She just sat there. I put on my jacket, grabbed my keys, and left. She would be fine, wouldn't she?

Lena's POV 

I felt no emotion. I felt no happiness, no anger, no love. I was sad. No, I was depressed. Adam tried, he really did. I could tell that he was trying to hang on for Sarah's sake. But I could tell he was coming to an end. He was starting to fall out of love. I couldn't do anything. I had no energy. I made my choice. I needed to escape.

I wanted to die.