Thirteen

"Here we are!" Mikey pointed to a small gray house with an iron fence around it. It looked cozy. The lawn was covered in a light blanket of snow from the storm a few days ago.

"Ah, good ol' home." Gerard smiled.

Mikey walked ahead of us and held open the gate for Gerard and I. Our feet crunched across the snow as we crossed the lawn and made it up to the front door. Mikey was the one to tab on the door ad call out.

"Mom? Your loving son has arrived! Gerard's here too."

"Dick." Gerard laughed under his breath.

There were footsteps on the other side of the door. It opened and a woman, very easily identified as being related to Gerard and Mikey, was standing in the doorway. She beamed happily.

"Mikey! My little boy!" She ushered him forward and hugged him tightly, rocking him back and forth. Mikey laughed, hugging her back.

"Oh, and my little Gerard!" She smiled happily at Gerard once she released Mikey. She walked over to him and held him just as tightly, rocking him lightly as well.

"Hi mama..." Gerard laughed. He sounded so happy, it made a smile curve on my lips.

"Oh, I've missed you! You're doing alright? Who's this?" I was suddenly put in the spotlight as Gerard's mom turned to me after releasing Gerard.

"I'm Frank." I held out my hand, but she pushed it away to give me a hug.

"Ah, Frank! Gerard's friend! Welcome!" She laughed.

"That's him." Gerard sounded a bit nervous as he said it. I looked over at him and saw him biting his lip slightly.

"I'm glad you could come." She stood back and smiled, "We'll definitely have plenty of food to go around!" She laughed and put her arm in Gerard's, leading him inside. "Come in!"

I followed them inside. It was a very homey and inviting atmosphere. There was the smell of apples and cinnamon in the air.

"Are you baking a pie?" Gerard asked as his mom lead him to the kitchen/dining area.

"Your favorite." His mom said cheerfully. She helped him sit in a chair at a table off to the side.

"Have I told you how you're the best mom in the world?" Gerard smiled.

She laughed, patting his shoulder. She turned over to me and saw all the bags I was carrying. "Oh! I'm sorry, dear!" She raised her voice, "Mikey! Show Frank your brother's room?"

Mikey popped into the room, grabbing an apple from the counter. "Sure thing mom." He said, biting into it. He gestured me to follow him out of the kitchen and down a short hall.

Gerard's room was the middle room, right across from the bathroom. When Mikey opened up the door, I was taken back for a second. There were normal things such as a bed, dresser, and bookshelves... But there were also pieces of artwork everywhere. There were clay models of some more abstract things, as well as some accurate shapes and forms of things. I laughed in amazement, setting mine and Gerard's things down.

"He made all these?.." I asked, walking over to the desk workspace across from his bed.

"Yea, crazy isn't it?" Mikey leaned on the doorframe, "Always was talented...Even with never being able to see his work."

"He saw his art in his heart..." I mumbled silently, looking over both finished and unfinished art pieces. It was just incredible... In replacement of his sight, he used his feeling...

"I'm surprised he hasn't shown you some of his etches back at the dorm." Mikey shrugged.

"We've always been preoccupied..." I said, still examining one of the statue silhouettes on the desk.