A Mission With Artemis

MOUNT JUSTICE- July 27th

9:52PM

The Team stood around Batman, who began the briefing as soon as Desmond approached them.

"As you all know," he began, pushing an image on the screen. "There was a massive break-out at Belle Reve Penitentiary. At this very moment, seventy percent of the super villains that were incarcerated within Belle Reve are running free."

Kid Flash's jaw dropped.

"Seventy PERCENT?!" he screamed out. "I thought it was only like three or five of them!"

Superboy shared Wally's annoyance with a frown and folded arms.

"You mean we have to round these guys up all over again?!"

Batman looked at Superboy, completely unfazed by his outburst.

"No Superboy, these criminals are highly dangerous, so the majority of them will be handled by the Justice League."

Superboy was taken aback, realising that he was upset for no reason.

"Oh..." he muttered, folding his arms with embarrassment.

"The Young Justice will be deployed on reconnaissance missions, gathering any intel you can find on the escapees and investigating any rumours of their re-appearances."

He looked at Desmond.

"This is your first mission, Desmond..."

Desmond took a deep breath, both in anticipation and anxiety.

GOTHAM HEIGHTS - July 27th

10:32PM

Desmond stared at Gotham's night sky, which stretched over the city like a blanket of darkness. Gotham was a lot more urbanised than Happy Harbour, so although the sky was beautiful, the city lights below made it duller.

"Hey, Desmond." Artemis asked. "You coming or what?"

Desmond quickly came back to reality, embarrassed.

"Y-Yeah!" he stammered. "I'm coming!"

Artemis rolled her eyes.

"Not even one minute into the mission and you're already distracted." she groaned. "Just remember what Batman told you OK?"

Desmond nodded and put pulled his hood over his head and remembered back to what Batman told him to do:

"Since the Justice League is not allowed into Belle Reve, except for transporting prisoners, we kept several contacts inside, our eyes and ears inside the prison. We kept seven of them.

During the break out, two were killed, two were taken as hostages and three were put in the hospital. A man matching the description of one of the hostages, Henry Glover, was seen in Gotham Heights two days ago. Your mission is to find him and gather any intel you might have on the break-out."

"Artemis knows Gotham Heights best out of everyone here, so she will be your partner. In the event you need to communicate to us Desmond, you will use the codename 'Mimic'."

"Don't you think it's a bit suspicious that this guy went missing and then suddenly resurfaces?" Desmond asked Artemis as he stood up.

Artemis looked at him with a mix of curiosity and apathy.

"What do you mean?" she finally asked.

"Well, he was taken hostage by a super villain, one smart enough or one who KNOWS someone smart enough to engineer a break out from one of the most secure prisons in the world. And even if he DID somehow escape, he'd want to go to the police or the Justice League and not hang around out in the open like a sitting duck!"