Chapter 44: A Time for Truth

Tom's face emerged from the depths of the swirling Pensieve, tiny droplets of the smoke-like water dripping from his face as it dried almost instantly. A grave silence encompassed the Common Room like a thick blanket, not a single sound to be heard but the gentle drips of the liquid and the distant movement from within the Black Lake that surrounded them. Tom's face was set as he stared forwards, his hands holding onto the edge of the basin so tightly that his knuckles were turning white.

"Well?" Asked Astrea keenly from behind him. "What did you see?"

Tom didn't even flinch at her words. He grabbed the vial that had contained Cayra's memories and squeezed it so tightly in his hand that the glass shattered, the sharp edges piercing the palm of his hand, but he didn't even wince. The Death Eaters exchanged unsure glances and Abraxas stepped forwards.

"What is she up to, my Lord?" It was as though a newfound confidence had swept over him as he spoke, holding himself high and proud.

Slowly, Tom turned to face Malfoy, whose eyes were glimmering brightly with anticipation. Riddle's face was cold and glaring, and Malfoy gulped as his body slackened under his gaze.

"My Lord?" He asked feebly.

"I don't know what she's up to, Malfoy," he growled dangerously, closing the space between them in one intimidating step. "Because you haven't retrieved the full memory!" He bellowed, his voice echoing around the large stone chamber.

Malfoy blinked. His eyes darted sideways to his fellow Death Eaters pleadingly, but they'd already begun backing away into the shadows. His lips were now a shade of white that matched his face and his hands were shaking. His forehead began to shine in nervousness as he opened his mouth to apologise, but Tom pushed past him with a harsh thud and paced the room.

"Dumbledore's given her a task - an extremely important one -" he growled under his breath, as his followers watched him cautiously. "And it has something to do with me. This is nothing like I had anticipated. I must know." His gaze shot towards his Death Eaters who jumped at his abruptness. "Find her." He demanded.

Malfoy stepped forwards immediately and Tom looked at him with daggers of utter disgust. "You've failed me one too many times now, Abraxas. I need someone who will perform the task I give them without failure. Avery, Astrea," he called, and Astrea Black perked up at once. "Bring her to me."

***

Estela walked lazily up the stairs to the Girls' Dormitory, a sheepish smile on her face as her heart still foolishly fluttered in her chest at the mere thought of his words. She felt so girlish and she hated it - but for a boy with such a cold heart and soul, he made her feel warmer than a blazing fire.

She sighed heavily as she opened the door to her dorm, forcing herself to return to normal and try her best to forget about Riddle, or else she knew she'd never stop smiling, but as she walked in, she didn't even have to try to forget about him.

"Estela!" Eve Meadows exclaimed. "We found her like this, we don't know what's wrong with her."

Estela's body froze at the sight of Cayra. She was sprawled out across the wooden floor, her entire form looking limp and unresponsive. She was surrounded by a group of girls including Eve and Meredith Fox, who were fanning her and patting her forehead with a damp cloth.

Estela rushed over to her and fell to her knees by her side. She was breathing, but her usually lively, flushed face was pale and dull, with an almost grey hue. Her hands were curled up into tight fists and her hair stuck to her face in a layer of sweat.