epilogue

June, The Following Year

"Mommy! Mommy! Did you see me?"

Smiling widely, Lauren weaved through the crowds of people and knelt down, just in time for her daughter to come leaping into her arms. Laughing, the green eyed girl embraced the small girl and stood up, giving her a soft smile.

"There's my little ladybug," Lauren laughed, looking down at her daughter, who had two red rosy cheeks painted on her face.

"Did you see me?" Presley asked, an excited smile spreading across her lips.

"I sure did, kiddo. Did you hear everyone clap for you?" Lauren asked, reaching out and brushing Presley's hair out of her face. The smaller girl nodded excitedly, her ladybug antennas bouncing up and down atop her head.

"Where's mama?" Presley tilted her head to the side, giggling softly when her antennas bounced along with her.

"I think she's backstage, bug. Let's go find her," Lauren laughed softly. Nodding, the tiny girl wiggled out of Lauren's arms and hurried down the steps of the auditorium in search of her mother. The dark haired girl quickly followed.

"Slow down!" Lauren laughed, weaving through the other parents and their children. Eventually, she lost sight of Presley, and she quickly slipped past the red velvet curtain and into the backstage area of the auditorium.

"There you are, little flower!"

Lauren couldn't help the smile that spread across her face when she heard Camila's voice echo throughout the room, watching as Presley hurried over to engulf the brown eyed woman in a hug.

"Did I do good, mama?" Presley asked, looking up at Camila hopefully. The girl nodded, standing up with her daughter in her arms and poking her nose playfully.

"You did amazing," Camila reassured her, balancing Presley on one hip and bending down to grab her bag. "Where is Lo?"

"Right here," Lauren laughed softly, appearing beside Camila and stealing a quick kiss on her wife's cheek. "Great play, babe. You make an awesome Narrator #2."

"Hush," Camila laughed, nudging her wife's shoulder jokingly. She jumped when she heard a thud from behind her, and moments later she was passing Presley off to Lauren so she could go reel in the group of preschoolers before they broke something expensive.

Glancing at the clock, Lauren gasped. "Camz! C'mon, we've gotta go!"

"I have to get them back to the classroom," Camila looked back at Lauren, now with one child on her hip and two other preschoolers tugging at her sleeve.

"Go ahead," Lauren laughed at the image, shaking her head. "I'll get this one ready," she nodded towards Presley, waiting for a thumbs up from Camila before slipping down the backstage hallway and searching for the nearest bathroom.

"Are we going now?" Presley asked once Lauren set her down on the counter, retrieving a wipe from her purse and gently scrubbing the stage makeup from her daughter's face.

"Yep," Lauren gave the small girl an excited smile. "As soon as you get dressed and ready." She dug around in her bag until she found the change of clothes she had packed. In record time, Presley's ladybug costume was replaced with a blue floral dress, and her hair was pulled back into a small bun atop her head.

"I love dresses," Presley giggled, standing on the counter and turning around in front of the mirror while Lauren quickly packed up their things.

"Are you excited?" Lauren asked, raising a playful eyebrow. Presley giggled and nodded furiously.