Twelve: In Which She Is All Over The Place

Remember to follow, vote and comment!

[ B L A I R E ' S P O V ]

It's been two days since Jax said those nine bone-chilling words to me and it still gives me shivers every time I think about it. I don't know what's going on with him. But I really don't like the way he's looking at me. Most of the time, he looks at me like he wants to fuck me but two nights ago... it's different. I don't know how to explain it.

I don't think I want to. Because it scared the shit out of me.

Nobody has ever looked at me that way before. Sometimes I think Ben has before, but every time I try to assess it, his expression changes and he puts on another face. Maybe I'm thinking too much about it. After all, Ben and I are just friends with benefits. It's supposed to be easy. No strings attached. No feelings involved. Ben and I agreed on that.

So I must be imagining things.

"It's a fake."

Those three words momentarily detached me from my thoughts and I quickly gather myself together. "What?"

"It's a fake," the pawnbroker says again, handing me back the ring I just gave him five minutes ago.

I stare at the ring in my hands, unsure of what to do. This was the ring I had stolen from Jack Wright's house-how the fuck could it be fake? "I don't understand."

The pawn broker's eyes bore into mine. "I don't know how else to say it girl but the diamond ain't real. It's practically worthless. I can't give you anything for this."

I feel as if someone gripped my heart in its hands, squeezing tightly, giving me a panic attack. "How about the necklace?"

"That I can give you something for. The necklace and the other ring."

He nods slowly, grabbing his calculator and places it on the glass table, punching in numbers with his finger. "This rate is good, yes?"

I look at the numbers and groan slightly. It's something-but definitely not much. I can't go to Mr. Forman like this. Ben's already done some research for me. He won't work for a discount. And I also don't want to be seen as charity. If I'm going to hire him, I need more money.

"This is the best you can give me?" I say, frowning.

The pawnbroker nods, a bored expression worn on his face. "Yes, girl. Take it or leave it."

Well, shit.

"Fine. I'll take it," I say and the pawnbroker smiles.

He grabs the money from the cashier and starts to count them. My eyes widen at the thick wad of hundred dollar bills. I haven't had that much money in a long time.

"Here you go," he places the wad of cash in an envelope and hands it over to me. I take it and slide it into my bag.

A sense of restlessness washes over me as I exit the pawn shop. I'm about ten grand short, which means it's back to thievery again. No scratch that, I'm more than ten grand short. I need extra money now that I've been thinking about getting a small apartment for Eden and I after I get him back. And rent costs money.

I can't stay in Baxton's house forever. I'll have to move out eventually. And after this whole bodyguard thing with Jax is over when he goes back to Boston after the summer, I'm going to need more money than ever. Even with my paycheck coming in at the end of the month, it's not going to be enough. I need more. Fast.