[45]: Lost Stars

[45]: Lost Stars

"I'm glad to say Seth's getting better now," the doctor said later that day, just after we ate dinner. "But he needs to stay for a few more days until the wound in his stomach improves."

"Okay, thank you for that, Doctor." I said and she left with her nurse.

"I guess I'll be stuck here for a few more days, huh?" Seth asked me.

I nodded and he said, "But that's okay, I have you here."

His words gnawed a little at my heart. "Oh Seth, you know I can't be here all the time. I need to go to school. I know you understand that I still have lots to do there." I said.

"Yeah, especially with the dance," he replied, nodding though he couldn't hide the disappointment in his face.

"Don't worry, I'll stay here at times where I don't have to be home," I amended. "Especially because I have to take care of you."

"Okay," he said. "It's okay, I understand."

I leaned down to kiss him on the lips, being grateful. "I love you, prinsesa," he said admiringly, his love for me blazing behind his eyes, lighting them up.

"I love you too," I replied without any hesitation.

"Do you have to go now?" he asked.

"I really don't want to but I should," I replied. "Maybe after you fall asleep."

"How about you sing me a song?" He suggested.

"What song?" I asked, positioning myself beside him on the bed.

"Anything," he replied.

I searched for a song in my head that would perfectly describe our moment right now for a few moments before launching into the lyrics.

"Please don't see just a boy caught up in dreams and fantasies
Please see me reaching out for someone I can't see
Take my hand let's see where we wake up tomorrow
Best laid plans sometimes are just a one night stand
I'd be damned Cupid's demanding back his arrow
So let's get drunk on our tears and

God, tell us the reason youth is wasted on the young
It's hunting season and the lambs are on the run
Searching for meaning
But are we all lost stars, trying to light up the dark..."

***

After I parked my car in our garage, I quickly went inside the house and was greeted by my parents and some of their friends--some I recognize, some I don't-- lounging in the living room as they chatted while the TV was on. There were food on the coffee table and some bottles of wine and champagne too.

"Oh, my darling," my mom gushed happily as she stood up and went to hug me. "How are you?"

"I'm fine mom," I said. "What's the occasion?"

"Oh, nothing, we're just relaxing and taking the day off," she said. "Do you want to join us?"

"No, it's okay. I'll be in my room," I said and she nodded, heading back to where she was seated awhile ago.

Once I reached my room, I decided to take a bath. After I freshened up, I plopped in my bed and reached for my phone. There were a lot of messages and missed calls from Grace. I ignored them because we'll eventually talk tomorrow morning.

And just before I could close my eyes to join Seth in dreamland, the door opened and my mom came in, a small smile on her face.

"Hey sweetie," she said.