Chapter 19

I was furious. How dare he? How dare he use my body against me and then leave me wanting?

The shame of the memory threatened to overwhelm me.

Your desire binds you to me. Well, something would have to be done about that. I had to secure my freedom before I lost it for good.

Which was why I had bullied the timid young woman who had come to dress my hair into giving me an extended tour.

She was a pale thing, too thin to be used as one of Celcath's statues, with a wide smattering of freckles against her nose and cheeks, pale blue eyes and brunette hair braided back and tucked beneath a veil. She cowered behind me as I opened the door of my suit.

Strale leaned casually against the wall of the suit next to mine, watching the courtyard and the skies alternately with a firm attentiveness. He straightened when I emerged.

He was dressed this day in a deep jade, tight fitting shirt and matching pants. Gold embroidery flickered as he moved, most of the pattern so tiny and intricate I had to squint to make it out. Unlike other days, however, he had strapped on blades. Lots of blades.

"You aren't going to a meeting like that?" I asked. The blades would never protect him when he was so outnumbered by Onyx dragons, but they would send a message.

"There will be no meetings until Cillumn is found. Dynarys and Krashac search the forest now," he raised a blond brow.

"The Onyx dragons are not aiding in the search? After they promised the safety of the delegation?"

"Celcath insists that Cillumn has returned to the Amber aerie, or that he had other plans. Since he left the aerie of his own free will they refuse to interfere."

I studied Strale, his words were emotionless no hint of accusation emerged. His eyes flicked behind me, the girl stood, eyes downcast, waiting patiently.

"I am getting a guided tour," I explained.

"You think that is wise, at this juncture?"

I frowned. "I am not leaving the aerie, I see no harm."

Strale grunted. "I do not think Dynarys would approve."

"Dynarys is not here to ask. If he had his way I would stay confined to my chamber and never venture forth for risk of a hangnail. What good would come of me then?" Some of my frustration over last night's encounter must have bled through my tone for both of Strale's eyebrows shot upward.

"Is it really so terrible that he wants to keep you safe? I have seen your actions Lady. You behave like a child that wants her own way, regardless of the danger. Yet you wonder at his firmness."

I frowned. Strale obviously did not see it my way, it was no use arguing with him. Besides, his words were pulling a little at my conscience and I wished to stay mad...emotionally separate from the man in question.

"I cannot simply sit in my rooms. I need something to do Strale."

Strale frowned, hesitating for a moment. "Fine, you have an hour. You will stay within the aerie," I smiled at him, relieved. "And you do not go unguarded," he said at last and waved an arm. Pourtus appeared from the suit across the courtyard and strode toward us.

"I do not need a babysitter, I promise I simply want to look around."

"I am not debating the subject. Poutus, you will see to the lady while she is on her tour?"

Pourtus nodded, but he did not look impressed. He was probably thinking about all the better things he had to do. Especially with the meetings breaking down and a delegation member missing. He narrowed his eyes at me, as if I forced such ridiculousness upon him.