Chapter 18 - I won't give up on you

I thumped on the couch as my heart and brain registered those harsh words of Manik. Was my mistake unpardonable?? I knew I had hurt him but was it that big that he would just decide to throw me out of his life like a piece of garbage. How can he decide it alone? I felt insulted. I wanted to grab his collars and ask how can you do this to me. I had left my family, my engagement, I had let everyone down, they hated me and he thinks one mistake and everything is finished. I repeated Abhimanyu words in my mind about trusting a stranger and judging someone by their face value. I felt disgusted.

The door bell buzzed. I got up unwillingly to check. It was his mother. She just looked at me and understood that nothing was fine.

"He has asked me to leave", I hated myself unable to control the welling tears in my eyes.

"So are you leaving then??", she wanted to know my decision as if it held any importance at that point of time.

"What else can I do?", I replied helplessly.

"Do you love him?"

I didn't want to answer that, "Doesn't matter. He hates me."

"I asked do you love him", she asked again

I looked at her and finally a tear droplet managed to escape the boundary of my eyes and roll down my cheek, "Yes ..I do."

"Then don't give up on him..if the love is worth leaving everything else behind then hold on to it."

"You want me in Manik's life??" It didn't matter though but I still wanted to know.

"Not important..what is important is that he needs you in his life and the fact is he doesn't realize it and even if he does he wouldn't admit it..well its not his fault entirely..whatever we experience in our lives we start believing that...and he is just like a frightened kid..he is haunted by his Dad's state and doesn't want that to happen to him, he is insecure about you leaving him..so he decided to throw you out of his life..only he doesn't realize he is already hurt..he is not being able to deal with the pain and thinks getting you out of his life will make things easy."

"Nandini if Manik is hurt its good..trust me..that means he has actually given you that right to affect him..he is easy going and placid because people around him 24*7 don't influence the soft human in him. He shouted at me the other day because somewhere some how I still matter to him and affect him."

I really didn't know if she was making sense. But it was strange to know that she actually cared for him and understood him. I wanted to ask her why did she leave them if she cared so much but at that point my own life was in such mess that I couldn't handle more stress.

"I was always worried that he would never get in to relationships and let anyone get so close to him. The bitter past was always a threat to his future. But when I saw you both together I could feel that he had met peace. The dark corners of his heart had you as the ray of hope. Every relationship has to stand a test of time and this is that time. Don't let your ego overpower you. Don't let him decide for you..If you want him in your life...HAVE HIM."

I listened to her intently. She was right, how could I give up on him so easily? If he had the right to be angry I have the virtue to be patient. If he decided to walk away I choose to stay back.

"And one last thing my son is difficult like really difficult so you have to be easy very easy, if you know what I mean", she smiled as she said that.

***

"Manik where the hell were you yesterday?? Do you have any idea how worried we were??", Cabir let out his concerns for him.