Chapter 8

When we reach my room he looks at me curiously. "I'll be back in a second." I say as I run to Lewis' room and grab a pair of pants and a T-shirt. Lewis is asleep thankfully.

I walk back to my room and see Kyle holding a photo of Lewis, Dad and I when we were kids.

I remember that day. It was my fifth birthday. Lewis had begged me to have a party at Burger Dude and because I was five, I said of course. Dad knew I didn't like Burger Dude though, so the next day he and mum organized a princess party.

"So, this is your dad?"

"Yeah." I say quietly. I miss him. He had brown hair like me, but it was grey at the roots. He had all knowing eyes and didn't have a wild side. But he rode a bike. It was the craziest thing about him. It didn't suit his calm and quiet self. He said it helped him relax and clear his mind.

When I look up, I see Kyle is standing in front of me. He goes to hug me but I quickly push him back. "You're too wet!" I say and he laughs. "Here." I give him the clothes and send him to the shower.

The pale yellow door to the bathroom stands out against my salmon coloured walls and as soon as it's shut, Grandma walks in. "Who is that Kristen?" She says with wide curious eyes.

"He's just a friend."

"What kind of friend?" She says as she wiggles her eyebrows. "The kind of friend that's like a brother? Or the one you want-"

"Gran!" I say and shush her.

"Well? Which one is he?" She says in a husky whisper.

"Neither." I say overwhelmed.

Gran leaves the room giving me a dirty grin. I roll my eyes as I start to wonder about what she was telling me. He's definitely not like a brother to me. What is he then?

The door creaks open and Kyle comes out only wearing the shorts and a towel over his shoulders. "Why aren't you wearing the shirt I gave you?" I say, using all my mental power to keep my eyes locked on his.

"They didn't fit." He uses the towel to wipe his face and hair. He's not wrong about that shirt not fitting him though. His shoulders are much broader than Lewis'.

"I'll grab you one of dad's then." I walk into Mum's room. She's not sleeping for once. She and Lewis must be so exhausted from all the treatment and therapy. Mum is probably downstairs with the therapist now. I haven't seen Lew for days. Not since he had that... outburst. I can't help but feel like I caused it.

I grab the biggest of dad's shirts. It's white and still smells a bit like him. I don't know what we are going to do with all of his old clothes, we might donate them. Mum might just want to throw them away.

I give Kyle Dad's shirt when I reach the room. He smiles at me like he knows something I don't. "What is it?" I say and roll my eyes.

"Nothing." He says with a breathy laugh.

"You keep doing that."

"What?"

"That!" I say and roughly punch him on the shoulder. Dammit he caught my wrist again.

"You just love touching me don't you?"

"Shut up!" Is all I can say. He's right though. I pull back my wrist and throw the shirt at him. "Just put this on so you can leave."

"Maybe I want to stay shirtless."

To that I just reply with a death glare and eventually he brings the shirt over his head. Then I start walking downstairs for him to follow me.