XLI. Twisted Logic

-------------------------------------------------------------

“So Mr. Big shot is finally heading off for college. And Princeton College, no less, with a scholarship for a free ride!” Catherine laughed into Teletraan’s speaker as she leaned back against the wall, her bed serving as a comfortable cushion for the rest of her. On her stomach, Cybermon and Blaster lounged peacefully, enjoying the affection she split between them.

“Jealous much?” Sam’s voice smirked from R2’s end, and in the background she could hear the shuffling of items into cardboard boxes he was going to take with him. “The scholarship was nice, although I feel as though some strings were pulled considering I didn’t apply for any.”

She hummed, “Well, maybe you just have some very good friends watching out for you somewhere who want to make sure you have a good life so you don’t feel inclined to talk about certain ‘event’s', but let’s not worry about that. Can’t have the rest of the peons getting envious from feeling left out. So how are your folks taking it? Or, well, how is your mom taking it?”

“How do you think? She looks like she’s going to burst into tears every second and keeps finding my old baby stuff. It’s freaking me out, man. Good thing we’re almost done packing. Not sure I can take any more of this.”

“Aww, cut her some slack, Sammy. She’s losing her little boy. I know it’s hard to understand, being that you’re a guy, but try to emphasize a little,” she chuckled, switching to petting Blaster now, whom played a delighted tune in response as he rolled over. “At least they’ll be happy ‘Bee is going with you. I’ve heard rumors of him getting on their nerves—something about being a little too protective?”

“It was one incident, I swear! I accidentally shocked myself, but he thought I was in danger so he transformed and freaked my parents out and… uh, maybe messed up the garden a little. Thankfully it was at night, so the neighbors didn’t see. But, yeah, they weren’t happy. Oh, and, about ‘Bee going with me,” he trailed off, and the redhead narrowed her eyes suspiciously.

“Sam…”

“Apparently freshman can’t have cars,” he replied slowly, and before she could shout back, he added quickly, “But I can bring him next year!”

“That’s ridiculous! Oh man! Poor Bumblebee! He must be devastated!” she sighed, shaking her head with pity.

“Yeah… He’s, uh, he’s been down lately, but it’s just for one year, and you know he’ll end up following me and hang out anyways.”

“True. He’s too loyal and too good of a friend to just leave you alone, and, well, with ‘Con activity increasing…”

“I know. I think that’s why he’s been so on the edge. How about you? Are you okay? I mean, I know you have all of those guys there to watch out for you, but I still worry,” he replied, the shuffling paused, and she smiled at his caring tone.

“Thanks, Sam, and, yes, I’m alright. Even those that don’t know I’m the Allspark would protect me, and the ‘Cons don’t know where this place is, so that helps.”

“Well, that’s good. By the way, when is that team supposed to get back? You said something about them going to China a few days ago?” he inquired, returning to packing.

“They should be back soon—ah, in fact, I just got a message and,” she paused to pull back her drone and look at it, “it’s them alright. They’re apparently on their way back now—mission successful! Sideswipe said they have some new information, so maybe we can finally figure out what the ‘Cons are up to when they get back in… uh, I think three hours?”