Chapter 24

Something wasn't right. Emily was asleep when she felt her wolf pulled her out of dreamland. The beast inside of her was demanding to be let out. It was dark outside, indicating that the night was still reigning those hours. Emily remained quiet and immobile for some moments, trying to catch some noise or smell that could indicate that there was danger near. Everything was as usual, not indicating an imminent attack. 

Confused, Emily got up and put the first clothes that she found on her wardrobe. She opened the door to the hall and the silence of the house greeted her ears. She knew that she was disobeying Kyle's orders if she set a step outside the mansion and even more if she adventure through the forest, but she couldn't deny the impulse to go to the line of trees and searched the source of her discomfort.

She hurried to strip off her clothes and shifted to her wolf. Her paws hit the cold ground. It was late October and the first snow flakes were falling from the sky. She lifted her nose and tried to capture some scent. There was none, but she found herself moving forward, as if the wolf in her knew where to go. She gave into her beast instincts, passing trees, owls and some rabbits that were too, exploring their surroundings. Her legs were prompting her forward, moving fast but at the same time carefully to not make a sound and alert possible predators. Suddenly, the strong scent of rogues filled her nose and she stopped immediately. She was still on the territory of her pack, so this could only mean one thing. They were attacking again.

It had been a bad idea to come to the woods alone. She was about to turn in the direction of the mansion when she heard them howl, a sign that they had capture too her scent. Panic made her start a desperate run. She knew that it wasn't just one wolf there with her, probably five or even more were running now to catch her.

She mind-linked Kyle. She had to, if she wanted to come out alive. She knew how to fight, but she wasn't stupid enough to fight against so many enemies. 

"Kyle wake up!! KYLE!!"

"What? What's wrong?"  His voice sounded sleepy and giving the time of the night, he was in bed.

"Rogues are attacking!" 

"I don't sense rogues at the mansion... Where are you?" His voice was now a mix of anger and concern.

"I'm in the forest, running in the direction of the mansion. I think they are around five or six wolves, I'm not sure."

"Run as fast as you can Emily! Don't stop to fight with them! We are on your way."

Kyle jumped out of bed completely naked, since he used to sleep without clothes, and mind-linked Marc and Luke, while opening his window. He didn't wait for them to answer. He jumped from the first floor of the house, not caring if someone saw him. Not that it would happen, since most of his pack was sleeping or patrolling the forest. He shifted mid-air and ran in the direction of Emily's scent. He could smell it in the air, inciting him to go faster.

He pushed his body to the limit till his legs started burning from the effort. His mind was focus on Emily and he prayed that he could get there on time, to save her from a fatal fate. He knew his friends were behind him, running to helping the fight.

Emily could hear their paws hitting the ground behind her, she could hear the growls and she knew that they would catch her. Despite of that, she continued running, hoping to see Kyle appear through the trees. His scent was the first to hit her nose, before she registered his presence. She didn't have time to look for him because, in that moment, one of the wolves collided with her, sending her to the ground. The hit, took all the air from her lungs. Despite that, she got up and bit her attacker, who was ready to jump at her. Fear created a rush of adrenaline, making her bite the wolf on his neck. Blood spread over her white fur. At that sight, the other wolves jumped at her. One bit her tail and another jumped on her back, making her legs buckled. She saw a black wolf running in her direction and she knew it was Kyle. She felt relieved to see him there, but worried about what those rogues could do to him. He attacked the one that was on top of her and she heard the wolf whined, before he fell to the ground. She saw Kyle fight with one grey wolf. Their teeth bared and dropping saliva in a way of showing aggression.