Chapter Thirteen : Hint Of Reverence

Rose sat on a wooden bench on a warm sunny day in the palace gardens looking at the pretty flowers that bloomed in the sunshine. She felt peaceful sitting still and enjoying the warmth of the weather.

A butterfly flew towards her and landed on the space next to her on the bench. She noticed the simple movements of the insect and watched it fly away to the flowers. A small sigh escaped her lips. She didn't quite remember much about her past except for the fact that now she was married to a king. Sometimes at night while trying to sleep she had feelings of something that was not good that had happened but she couldn't put a finger on it. The more she tried to remember, her head ached.

She would be silent most of the time, would be drowned in some kind of book or try to find some chore to do but she never got a chance. She didn't like sitting idle but then she didn't have any choice either. It had been two weeks since her recovery and she was told that it was an accident and she fell down the stairs. Though she didn't believe it but never questioned it too.

Henry had been the complete opposite to what she had imagined him before wedding. He was gentle, polite, charming and too kind to her. Had he been always like this? She thought and her eyebrows furrowed at the matter.

He didn't stay with her for long but occasionally met her and of course there would be silence most of the time. At times, he would invite her to his study in the late evening or go for a small walk in the gardens, the night gardens that his grandfather had created. Not everyone was allowed there but he took her at the spot occasionally. It was serene place and she loved it.

It wasn't everyday she saw him. Sometimes she would get a chance. His smile was enough to make her heart go pitter patter but she never smiled or said anything not because she didn't want to but because she had forgotten how to smile a long time back. He treated her very nicely but she still had few insecurities.

****

It was evening when he returned back, his mind wandering on her thoughts. What she might be doing? He thought. He was quite successful in bringing her back to life though it was not much since she only nodded or said yes or no. He had been completely different now, she had changed him. He tried maintaining a distance from her and decided not to touch her in any such way. It was better to give her space and slowly make her love him. Henry knew she was affected by his behaviour and his smile and he liked it. He wanted her to completely forget about her past and move on, being his love. It wasn't easy but neither impossible.

He thought of moving to his study and spent some time alone when he sensed her presence while passing through the corridor. His steps changed direction to the library and he found Rose on her toe tips trying to fetch a book placed high on the shelf. There was no one else, he acknowledged and walked up to her.

Rose felt warmth seep into her skin as she felt someone behind her. A hand raised above her head towards her arm where she was trying to get a book. Henry got the book and handed it to her, "Here, your book." The hair on the back of her neck raised realising him behind her. His smell was like a cold autumn morning, fresh and hypnotic. She had never felt him in such close proximity and she tried hiding her blush. He stepped back and looked at her. "Thank you." She murmured softly not meeting his eyes.

Her beautiful pink blush didn't go unnoticed by him and he was glad she was taking interest in her hobbies again. She didn't go to the library but today she was here with some curiosity to read. He saw her looking at the floor then she turned and started taking small steps away from him.

"Would you like to join me to my study?" He asked her. Her back went stiff and she slowly turned to him. She debated in her mind whether she should say a yes but then, "Okay." She said so low but he didn't miss it.

In the study while Henry was going through some papers she glanced him from the corner of her eyes. Is it that she was feeling something for him? Her heart fluttered at the thought. There were doubts in her that told her not to believe him but she couldn't compose herself either. He was kind, gentle and breathe takingly handsome but she had even heard about his other side. The dark one. The dangerous and heartless side that had earned him the title of the Dark Lord.

But was it actually true? The man before her didn't seem like the one in rumors. May be it was a bad kind of rumor to degrade his personality. She shook her head and glanced at the the moon through the large window. After sometime, her mind became blurry and her eyes dropped slightly.

"You can go and take rest, Rose." She heard him. Closing the book she slowly walked out of the room but his gaze was piercing right through her back which was not inconspicuous.

She slept alone usually but little did she know that he would come late at night to caress her in her sleep. Henry usually did that but being cautious not to wake her up.

"I can sense your feelings for me, love." He said softly with a sigh leaning against the chair after she had left and closed his eyes.

****