Chapter 16: His Mate

Chapter 16

~Adrian’s POV~

We were out the house before Rivers could even ask what was wrong. My mind was reeling at the news, alternating between thinking Thomas was mistaken to wondering if it was all a joke.

Scottie? Mated? My baby brother? It was more than just hard to believe. It was… I didn’t even have a word for it.

A few days ago we were in London, Scottie had never even travelled to this country before and now he was mated to a wolf? I lengthened my stride, needing to see for myself if it was true.

I suppose I shouldn’t even be surprised, it was Scottie after all, something interesting was bound to happen to him but really what were the odds? His first trip to the country, first time visiting a pack and bam! His life was changed forever.

“There they are.” Lucas announced.

Not far in front of us was a small group of people. The only other person I recognized apart from Scottie was Thomas…and of course there was Marcus as well, standing beside Scottie looking like he wouldn’t mind committing a homicide right then.

It wasn’t until we were only a few feet away that I realized that Scottie was holding his hand gingerly, wincing a little as the pack doctor who had prescribed my meds, prodded his limp arm.

What was stranger I thing though, was the girl sitting on his right, her brows furrowed with concern and her eyes wide as saucers as she gazed up at my little brother. If I had to take a wild guess, I’d say that was the ‘mate’ Lucas had mentioned and suddenly it was all becoming too real.

“What happened?” I asked as soon as we were close enough. Everyone glanced up at me but ‘the girl’ was the only one to answer.

“He broke his arm.” She offered, a blush blooming on her face and I raised an eyebrow in askance.

“It’s a looong story.” Scottie added then winced again when the doc prodded his arm yet again.

“She tripped, he tried the catch her, fell instead and broke his arm. Not much of a long story.” Marcus spoke up and Scottie blushed.

“You must be Adrian then.” The girl said stretching out a hand in greeting and I grasped it briefly.

“And you are?”

“Your sister in law.” She said with a grin and Marcus swore.

“You’re not his mate, he’s a shifter not a bloody wolf, he doesn’t have a mate, so why don’t you go mess around with someone else’s head.” Marcus growled but the ‘mate’ didn’t back down under his glare.

“You have a lot of pent up issues Marcus, you really need to share it with someone otherwise it’ll eat you alive.” She said it more as if it was her professional opinion rather than an insult but I wasn’t surprised Marcus saw it that way.

He lounged and would have probably gone in for the kill if Thomas hadn’t jumped in front of her, baring his own teeth at Marcus.

“It’ll be in your best interest not to mess with any member of my pack Marcus. She says he’s her mate, then he’s her mate. Grady is human yet we’re still mated. There’s no set rule to this thing.” Thomas soothed but Marcus only blanched and the discomfort from my own bruised body had me moving to sit down under a nearby tree, not sure if I wanted to deal with any quarrelling right then.

 Lucas followed suit, plopping himself on the ground beside me so that out legs and arms brushed against each other.

“What are the odds huh? That you’d find your mate in my pack.” Lucas said with a grin at Scottie who grinned back before his eyes rested on the girl at his side. She blushed and I shook my head.