Chapter Seventeen: A Sudden Craving for Tater Tots

     I want some French fries.

     I internally smile at the random text declaration before typing back a response.

     That's funny because lately I've been craving some tater tots.

     I slump further down on the couch while my dad fast-forwards through the commercials on the T.V. show him and my mom are watching.

     My mom reaches up and rubs the back of her neck as a pout forms on her lips. "My neck hurts."

     "Maybe that's because you've been using a desk as a pillow," my dad says from his sprawled-out position on the loveseat. His legs are dangling both off the sides of the couch as well as out of the blanket wrapped around his torso, but my mom still glares at him despite his innocent position.

     My phone vibrates again.

     Let's go get some French fries.

     My thumbs don't hesitate in replying. Do I have a choice?

     Xavier's text immediately floats in. Do you want to come with me to get some French fries?

     I lean over on the couch, and shove my phone screen in my mom's face. She draws her head back to see what I'm showing her, and her lips move as she reads the text before she nods. I guess you can say my dad isn't entirely aware of the surprising acquaintance I've made with a certain Cassidy boy, but I have no doubt that he's partially filled in with minimal details.

     I lean back into my own space on the couch and type a reply. Does your cousin have a job at McDonalds too?

     Xavier sends me a whole bunch of laugh-crying emojis before providing me with the most deadpanned answer. No. He doesn't leave me like that, though, but instead adds, be ready in 20.

     I take that as my cue to continue sliding down my couch, stretching myself out like a cat, before standing up and jogging my way up to my room to swap my sweatpants out for a pair of jeans.

****

     "Can I have two large fries, a medium Dr. Pepper, and . . ." Xavier keeps one hand poised on the steering wheel, while the other rests on the center console between us. "Do you want a drink?"

     I shake my head before throwing in a quick, "thank you" when I remember my manners.

     Xavier lets the cashier repeat our order in the order it appears on the drive-through screen before pulling up to the next window. I try to shove a ten-dollar bill past Xavier's face, but he shoos my arm away, and pays before settling us by the second window. Xavier asks for extra napkins while I try to sneak my ten-dollar bill into his leather jacket pocket. Xavier catches me in the act when he abruptly turns back around, and he shoves the money back into my hand along with a fistful of napkins before accepting both the white paper bag, and his soda from one of the McDonalds employees.

     Xavier drops the bag into my lap, and takes a sip of his drink before putting the car back into drive. He drives around the parking lot before settling on a diagonal space off to the side of the building. I uncurl the top of the bag and the savory, yet slightly revolting smell of McDonalds immediately wafts into the air of the now parked car. Xavier throws his car keys in the center console before snatching the box of fries I hold out in his direction.

     Xavier stuffs two handfuls of fries into his face before his head darts in my direction again. "What?" His fries cover the words, and my shoulders shake in laughter. "I told you I was craving them." Xavier defends after he finally swallows.