Chapter 7

Once I was out of the room, all my bravery disappeared and I let out a small whimper as I finally noticed the pain once again. My knees felt weak and all I could do was fall back onto the wall letting my body slide down causing me to land in a lump on the floor.

I let my tears fall, catching them into my hands. That’s when I noticed my tears slightly tinged with pink. I placed my hand over my cheek pulling back to see my hand now stained with, what I can only guess was, blood which must have been caused by Lord Raziel’s back hand. I shivered by the memory. I should move before he comes out of his room and I began to stand up when I heard footsteps.

"Oh my goodness, Florence what happened to you" Sarah’s voice said slightly startled, I had to say I was glad she was here, because I felt my body give away and I fell back to the floor, letting my eyes close and fall into darkness.

It was an hour later when I woke up, with Sarah by my side dabbing my cheek with a wet cold cloth.

"Ahh your awake" Sarah said smiling, I ignored her and sat up, suddenly feeling dizzy held my hand to my head.

"What happened?" I asked Sarah who now had a frown on her face.

"After you came out of Lord Raziel’s room, I found you on the floor. It was lucky I walked past when I did, or god knows what would have happened. I got Daniel to take you down to your room, where we let you rest and here we are now, nothing to worry about" I nodded and looked up at her, giving her the best smile I could.

"I can only guess what happened in that room" She said sadly, looking at my cheek once again, "I’m guessing that it was a bang to your head that made you lose unconsciousness, but you seem okay now. Any pain let me know okay" She said sternly.

“I hope your okay Flo, everything with Francis was so terrible and you did not deserve to be put through that pain" My chest began to hurt with just hearing his name, she must have understood because she grew silent, her eyes never leaving the floor.

"Thank you for all your help Sarah, but may I be left alone?" I said looking at the door, she must have understood because she walked straight out, leaving me once again alone, and that’s how I wanted it to be.

The next few weeks developed into a sort of pattern: I would wake up, get dressed and start work, whether it be cooking, cleaning or shopping. Straight after lunch, I would go to Lord Raziel’s room for my daily punishment which he seemed to enjoy very much.

It was harsh and cruel but I put up with it. There was nothing for me to live for anymore. No one for me to live for anymore.

I pushed Sarah and Daniel away, and I chose to not talk to anyone else, who would want to talk to me when they could just talk about me? They think I don't hear their whispers when I enter the kitchen. I can hear them talking about my newest bruise or what I done to Lord Raziel to make him do what he does to me.

I don’t even know why.

He keeps going on about this marriage and every time I tell him that it will not be happening, but I already know there is no point; Lord Raziel does not care what I want.

He doesn’t have to.

He has the power to control me, and that’s what he does.

One day, in the third week since Francis had left, I lay on my bed crying. Daniel walked in on and I but I did not stop. He came over to me and pulled me into him and held me while I cried.