valentines day

I'm awoken by a bright light blinding my eyes.

"Y/n?" It's my boyfriend, Newt. "Y/n, wake up."

I prop myself on one elbow and slowly open my eyes.

"Good morning, beautiful."

"What time is it?" I ask, still groggy from sleep.

"Breakfast time!" He answers, scooping me out of bed and carrying me out of the apartment we share.

"Where are we going? I'm still in my pajamas," I say, wrapping my arms around his neck.

"Shh, you'll see."

He turns the corner and opens the doorway to the stairwell, but instead of going down the stairs he goes up. 

"Newt, where are we going?"

We're almost to the top of our apartment building when he finally answers.

"Don't you know what day it is?"

"Yeah I do it's Tuesday, but-"

He cuts me off by opening the door.

The sun is barely visible over the buildings of the city, but it has turned the sky from midnight blues to soft pinks and yellows. Newt has set up a blanket with breakfast laid out on top of it. He has all of my favorites, waffles, bacon, fruit, and even hot chocolate.

"Newt, this is amazing," is all I am able to say.

He carries me over to the blanket and sets me down gently. "Happy Valentines Day," he says before sitting next to me, pulling me close to him. We lay down on the blanket, my head resting on his chest, watching the sun brighten up the city.

"Newt?"

"Yeah, love?"

I flip around onto my stomach so I'm looking into his eyes. "I love you."

His face lights up, "I love you too."