Chapter 26

Emily passed the night at the clinic. She didn't remember hearing Kyle enter the room, but when she woke up, he was there, sleeping on the chair, beside her bed.
They went home together and Emily noticed that Kyle was walking closer to her, almost touching her hand with his. That made her wonder if that had something to do with the need to protect her from another attack or if it was related with his feelings for her. Maybe it was both.

"Are you sure you are Ok?" He asked, breaking the silence.

She smiled at him, small dimples forming on her cheeks.
"Yes, I'm fine, Kyle."

He opened the door of the mansion, indicating her to go first. Then, he took her to her room. Emily walked to the bed and sat on it, while Kyle stayed at the door, rubbing his neck as if be wasn't sure of what to do next.

"You need to rest. I will prepare something for you to eat." He said turning to leave.

"I'm not an invalid, you know? I can prepare my own food." She said, lying down. The truth was that she was exhausted and a few hour of sleep would be life traveling to heaven, but she didn't want to be a burden to Kyle.

"I know but you are my mate and I will be more than happy to make some dish for you. I need to take care of you, Emily."

She opened her mouth to speak, but closed it again. Was he really beginning to accept her? Before she could ask, he disappeared from her room.

Sleep took over her in less than two minutes.

Kyle entered Emily's room and found her sleeping profoundly. He didn't want to wake her, so he took the bolognese he had prepared to the kitchen. He would heat it after and take it to her. Feeling tired too, he went upstairs to his room to take a nap. He was almost falling asleep, when someone knocked on his door.

"Come in." He said to the person. Marc entered the space, looking tired as well.

"I just came to know how is Emily."

"She is tired but fine. She is sleeping now."

"Kyle we need to talk about our strategy." Marc said, walking to the chair beside the desk.

Nightmares plagued Emily's sleep. Rabid wolves were following her, barring their sharp teeths to her. She turned and turned on her bed, trying desperately to escape the fate that was consuming her mind.
She woke up panting, trying to gain the orientation needed to reassure herself that everything was ok. She pondered to go back to sleep, but that idea wasn't appealing. She was too agitated with the latest night's events to close her eyes again.

Gaining her senses back, she heard male's voices coming from Kyle's room.
They were muffle, but she could heard the tension in them.

Curiosity took the best of her and she got up without making any sound, putting her head against the hard surface. It was wrong, she knew that, but she couldn't stop herself.

"Kyle, we should tell her about her pack..." Marc's voice raised a bit of tone making Kyle growl.

"Keep your voice down. She could hear you if she wakes up." Kyle hissed.

"But she has the right to know that she is in danger. If you explain the situation, she will understand why you don't want her to do patrols and why those rogues were in our territory." Marc continued, lower this time.
Emily pressed her ear a little more to the wall. She was sure they were talking about her.

"I won't tell Emily a thing and you will shut your mouth. It's an order."

"Kyle, my friend, it's bad enough that a mad impostor Alpha took over her legitimate pack and killed her parents in the process. Do you want her to feel that she can't trust us, trust you?"